The Forest

Moritz Ludwig von Schwind, Apparition in The Forest (from Sleeping Beauty), before 1858

What would you do?
What would you do if I follow you?
What would you do? I follow
- "Sour Girl" by Stone Temple Pilots

Trigger Warning (TW): Explicit content on CA (Child Abuse) and violence.

Jacob wasn't imagining it. He glances at various windows of cars to make sure she's following him. After leaving the school, he sees her. His teacher made him stay late for ten minutes, giving a useless lecture on the principle of being social and having friends or a crush. All of it meant nothing to him.

"Crush?" His signature detached stare pierces through her. She keeps looking away and it annoys him.

"Yes! Having crushes can be very good... It helps us from being lonely and- "

"What is that?"

"What is what? Lonely? It's-"

Sharply, Jacob replies," A crush. What's that?"

She sent him off without explaining what it all meant, just wore an expression of disbelief because she believed he was old enough to have a crush. Now, he was late and had to cut back on his alone time. His parents assumed his commute to school and back took 30 minutes when it only took 20. He uses the remaining ten minutes to go to the forest doing whatever he wants. It's his only safe space.

His hearing heightens when a delicate giggle enters his ears. Jacob never stops walking, but he slyly glances in nearby windows to identify who his stalker is.

A tiny Black girl follows him and he can see her tripping over her own feet once a while. She wears a pastel blue chiffon dress with satin material lining the ends of the short sleeves. He notes how it compliments her complexion, the tone of rich syrup. Her hair seems to be in twist decorated in white and blue bows at the ends. Jacob admits she piques his interest, wondering why someone like her would follow someone like him. But then he remembers how his father warned him about them: Children that would act and look like normal children...but they were far from it. Children like Jacob.

As he crosses the street, he slows down his pace when he passes an elderly lady. He watches the little girl hesitate next to her as she struggles to cross without support. However, the little girl looks from Jacob to the lady, indecisive whether to help or not but chooses to continue stalking him instead.

Jacob continues to watch her in nearby windows, just in time to catch a glimpse at what will make him turn around. As she draws closer, he sees the object in her hand glimmer pink and narrows his amber eyes.

...a pink shimmer that yells for his attention...

He slows his steps, but not too much until he can be sure she's close enough to grab.