The Hospital

"He wears the smell of blood and death like a perfume."
- Courfreyacc on tumblr.

-----

"He's going to be okay."

Veronica's mom gives Lily's shoulder a squeeze before continuing, "He's gotta' really bad fracture, but he should be up soon once the meds wear off."

Veronica tries to hold her trembling hands in her lap. Luckily, a teacher broke up the fight and called the police just in time before something serious could happen. Veronica had watched him be pulled away by the same blonde boy who was with Lizzy and exit the gym before the teachers could withhold him. At 11 PM, Veronica could tell Lizzy was exhausted.

The whole night was exhausting. Veronica had passed out when he tried to grab her. His eyes were like knives stabbing through her. It didn't help he had blood all over his face and hands. She blacked out from the shock and next thing she knew, she awoke in the visitor's lounge at the hospital her mother worked at as a nurse. When she woke up, Veronica found a nerve-wrecked Lizzy pacing her feet back and forth across the lounge. When she seen Veronica awake, Lizzy greeted her with a tight hug crying. 

Lizzy had asked if Veronica remembered anything, but all she could recollect was Lizzy and someone chanting her name. The voice felt familiar, but she couldn't put a name on it. It had popped up in her dreams multiple times but she was able to put a face on it. It seemed like the voice of the ghost and his voice resembled that.

Now, the two were waiting for Michael's awakening. Michael's left arm was fractured so badly that he passed out from the pain at the dance. Lizzy was obsessively preaching about how she should have never left them, should have never gone with a guy named "Alice", and should of been there with Michael and Veronica to "protect" them.

Lizzy stops talking and Veronica exams her. Her eyes were red-rimmed and glassy. Her usual raven, glowing skin was dry and lifeless from all the crying. With a shaky hand, Veronica softly puts it on Lizzy's forearm which makes her jump.

"G-go home..."

"Hell no! I'm not going anywhere."

"You have to...y-your dad will get worried."

"And? Michael got his arm broken because of me, Veronica." Veronica gulps as the guilt and sadness reenters Lizzy's eyes.

"I would have stopped him-"

"L-lizzy-" That was some crazy shit and it's not your fault.

Lizzy whips her head at Veronica who pulls away from surprise. For a while, with narrowing brows, she searches Veronica's face.

"What the fuck did he say to you, Veronica? What did you say to him? Why did he do that to Michael?" It was the most bizarre but desperate thing Veronica had ever heard from Lizzy. It was difficult to hear not only because she didn't know, but because Lizzy spoke as if she already knew the painful answers.

Veronica looks down at her lap and feels the tears coming to her eyes again. She feels like she was seven again, chest sinking from having to go through the familiar feelings of shame, hurt, and fear again. She mentally curves into a ball from Lizzy's statements. She knew this was all her fault, but she didn't know how. She didn't even know who that was. Shit, she didn't know he went to her school. Lizzy and her didn't say much to each other after that for an hour.

Veronica feels like shit and wants desperately to go home. She knew she should have never came to the Winter Ball. Even at the dance, the feeling of uneasiness sits in her stomach like an anchor. She had tried to ignore it to prove to Lizzy that she could have fun.