Chapter 12: Mission

Reed

The weeks after the attack were spent healing the injured and repairing the damaged arena. Even though I hadn't been at Camp for long, I could tell that the atmosphere had changed. Instead of singing "Kumbaya" around the camp fire (quite literally), the campers sat in silence. Addison stayed holed up in her cabin. I had only seen her once since the attack, and that was when I was cleaning the docks. I saw a movement in the water and automatically pulled out my gun. Addison appeared just beneath the surface and, with a sad smile, gave a half-hearted wave before disappearing into the depths. I had tried to visit her in her cabin, but she never answered the door.

I was healing well. It was weird to recover from deity-possession, both mentally and socially. To be honest, I didn't know if I was safe. The campers didn't either.

I made my way over to the beach, trying to act normal. A few Aphrodite girls stopped me on the way.

"Hey, Reed!" A brunette smiled, "We think you're, like, really hot."

A raven-haired Aphrodite girl joined in, "Yeah. Brown hair and blue eyes are totally adorable."

"So we'd like to invite you to our party tonight. It will be in our cabin and starts after dinner. See you there?" The brunette giggled.

"Uh... Maybe. I might help out in the forges tonight," I lied.

They blew me kisses and scurried away, giggling. I didn't know if getting too much attention was worse than none at all. Once I arrived at the beach, heart pounding, I stepped into the waves. They rushed over my toes, soothing and cold. A head popped up above the surface in the distance. I waved and cautiously waded deeper. The choppy water was at my waist now. My feet kept sinking into the sand, as if the earth itself was latching on, too stubborn to let go. I closed my eyes. The clouds above were rolling, much like the swelling sea. I let go and fell forward. I pushed all of the air out of my lungs and prayed to the gods.

Come on, Addison. Come on.

Weakness surged through me as my lungs screamed for air. I felt a pair of lips connect with mine, like a whisper. Then I'm alone.

I inhaled in the salty waters.

----

Addison

I pulled him out to sea with me. I had no other choice. He was drowning himself; I had to use the kiss. I knew he was dumb, but I didn't know Reed could have been that dumb. Once I arrived in my grotto, I laid him up on the rocks. The grotto was an undersea cave with a large air pocket. It was far enough from the Camp, but not so far that it can't be a second home. I kept half of my extremely valuable treasures there. Reed was no exception. I had to situate his head to where it was submerged, so his feet were awkwardly on the rocky ledge on which my treasure sat. He would wake up soon enough.

-----

Reed

I opened my eyes to find that I was underwater... Upside down? I softly breathed in to test the waters, so to speak. The water entered my lungs and was expelled, just like oxygen and carbon dioxide on land. I could breathe underwater. I flailed around, trying to get myself right-side up again. Suddenly, soft hands cradled my head and lifted me above the water. I flooded my lungs with oxygen once again, which was a strange transition. Addison was sitting right next to me, softly humming and stroking my cheek with her thumb.

What the hell.

Her brown hair, now wet, was twisted into an intricate braid and adorned with shells and pearls. She was wearing a red bikini top of sorts, but it was made of scale-like material. At her waist, her tan skin faded into scarlet scales. Her tail, long and slender, swayed every now and then with the incoming tides. The fin faded into dark maroon and black scales.

I reached out to touch her tail and found that it was silky and soft. She had stopped humming, so I looked up at her. Addison was biting her lip and glancing at me with an unreadable expression in her eyes. Her tail faded to a deep maroon with more black streaks running along the sides of her tail.

"What did I do?" I immediately removed my hand, concerned that I had hurt her.

"Oh, you didn't do anything," Addison replied, cheeks flushed, "It's just that my tail and nails change colors along with my mood."

"And what does this color mean?"

"It doesn't matter," Addison stammered, "Anyways, how are you feeling? I had to kiss you to enable you to breathe underwater, since you tried to freaking drown yourself. What was that all about?"

"I knew you would come for me," I smirked.

Addison rolled her eyes.

"But I also needed to talk to you and since you wouldn't answer the door or communicate in any way, this was my only option," I explained.

"Okay... Whatever. What do you need?"

"We need to run away."

"What?"

"To save the camp, we have to run away and defeat Lycaon. We can locate his pack and destroy it. You and I both know the Camp won't send anyone of use," I said.

"They won't send anyone because it's a fool's mission. You're part werewolf and I'm part mermaid. How would we, of all people, defeat a pack of freakishly big wolves? We need others." Addison sighed.

"What about your redhead friend? She deals with fire and stuff, right?"

"Kind of. She hasn't mastered it," Addison chewed on her lip.

"Even better," I mutter, "Let's grab her and go. There's no time to lose."

"Hold on a second. Why are you so interested in saving the camp? You just got here. Also, you don't even know how dangerous it is out there. That scar on your arm should remind you of that. And how do you expect me to leave my injured little brother to go fight a pack of preternatural wolves with some guy and an explosive friend? I can't go. I have to stay and help the Camp." Addison protested.

"News flash, Addison. The Camp doesn't want your help. They think you're a freak of nature, and their parents are gods, for crying out loud! They don't want you," I argued.

"Shut the f--"

"But on the bright side, if you defeat Lycaon they will think you are worth something. They'll love you again. They'll respect your brother because his older sister kicked some werewolf hiney. If we can pull this off, you'll be a hero. You'll be able to give Tyler the life he needs and wants." I insinuated.

Addison thought for a while, and then finally agreed, "Okay. I'll do it. But what's in it for you?"

"Oh, I just want to help you. You're very beautiful, Addison. I'll do whatever I can to aid you," I said.

Addison blushed and then smiled. I just had to recruit the redhead and then I could proceed with the plan. My uncle would not be displeased.