Chapter 5: Guarding the Heart and Home

"I present Tyler Williams, son of Enyo, Greek goddess of War," Chiron announced.

I stood starstruck as a glowing torch and sword hovered above my head. It had been a week since Addison was claimed and it was finally my turn. There were no other children of Enyo, nor was there a cabin. I stayed with the Ares campers, which was pretty fun. I became close friends with Clarisse LaRue and Jack Hamilton and trained with Percy and Annabeth. I hung out with Addison some, but she was usually with Annabeth, an Aphrodite girl Silena Beauregard, or a Hades boy named Nico DiAngelo. Nico was cool. I liked when we played mythomagik and had power battles. I could sense weapons and obtain a good battle intuition. Of course I lost against Nico but I knew these powers would help me in battle.

War was brewing. I could feel it. It was a nauseating feeling in the pit of my stomach, setting me on edge. War will come, and it will be brutal. 

 13 Months Later

"Hey Add!" my brother called, "Can you take my shift?"

"Sure, Tyler, Go rest. You've been working too hard," I insisted. 

It had been about a week since we won the Second Titan War, in which my stupid little brother was slashed down his leg by a Telekhine. My birthday was in a few days and I was sort of excited. My mother said she had a very important gift for me, something that would be able to help in an upcoming quest. 

I trudged up Half-Blood Hill and greeted the dragon that guarded Thalia's pine and the Golden Fleece. The dragon snorted in return, which sounded more pig-like than scary. I laughed to myself and kept walking. Someone screamed. A boy I think. My instincts kicked in and I was ready to defend the camp. I pressed the aquamarine gemstone on the ring my mother had presented me after the war. A wooden bow and quiver complete with arrows encrusted with aquamarines appeared in my hands and I silently ran towards the noise, my steps cushioned by pine needles. I burst into a clearing to see an Empousa, fangs dripping with blood, standing over a bleeding boy my age.