Chapter 9: Part Two

Addison

Reese was being claimed. 

What's a claw symbol? 

I racked my brain, trying to pinpoint where I'd seen the symbol before. By that time, everyone had noticed. All of the campers bowed, a sign of respect. I quickly joined them, but my mind was elsewhere. My nails were dull yellow, like a potato. It sounds silly, but that scared me. It scared me a lot.

"Welcome, Reese Carter," Chiron announced," Son of Lycaon."

Wait. What?

Lycaon was a mortal who fed Zeus human flesh as a test of the god's true character. Zeus was enraged and turned Lycaon into a werewolf. 

A werewolf.

Everyone looked extremely confused, and the noise of the campers was deafening. I surged into the crowd, trying to find Annabeth. I stumbled over a chalice that had rolled off the table and almost fell on my face. I saw a flash of blond hair through the sea of orange. 

"Annabeth!" I called.

Her head whipped around. She looked at me and nodded grimly. 

Olympus save us.

After breakfast, I invited Annabeth, Percy, and Crystal to go for a swim during our free time. I waited for them to arrive at the beach. I ran my fingers through my hair and sighed. 

"Addison!" Percy called as the three ran towards us.

"Crystal!" I embraced her,"Your cast is off!"

She beamed at me, "Good as new!"

After greeting everyone, Annabeth, Percy, and Crystal quickly shoved their camp uniforms in a crevice in a nearby rock, leaving them in their swimsuits. With Hermes campers around, you can never be too safe. 

"Ready?" I asked them as I stepped towards the water.

Percy quickly pushed Annabeth into the surf, laughing.

"Percy!" She screeched.

"I think that's a yes," Crystal smirked.

"So, what does a claw mean?" Crystal asked as she lounged on a rock in the middle of the bay.

I flipped on my back and circled the rock as I swam. My tail was still yellow, which certainly did not help my nerves.

"You heard Chiron. Lycaon," Annabeth answered as she climbed onto the rock.

"Who's Lycaon?" Percy asked.

"Werewolf," Annabeth whispered. 

I shuddered and my tail shifted to a dark red, the tips jet black. Fear. 

"But he's not a god," Percy pointed out, "Is he?"

"No," Annabeth huffed, "And that's why Reese doesn't make sense."

There was a long, uncomfortable silence. 

"I think it's time to head back," Crystal broke the quiet.

I breathed a sigh of relief and dove beneath the waves. The others dove into the water behind me. Percy willed a wave to send Crystal and Annabeth body-surfing to the shore. He sank to the ocean floor and sat next to me.

What's wrong? He asked telepathically.

It's nothing. It's just that... My tail was yellow today, I explained.