Finding Ivy Part 8

Chapter 8

     I just stare at her not knowing what to say. I look over and the twins had tears running down their faces. I don't want to look at Eli, I can't bear it.

     "W-what do you mean?" I whisper not trusting my voice as tears fill my eyes.

     "You're getting adopted, Ivy. Come on you should be happy. I'm happy for you."

     "You're happy for me? What? You want me to leave? I can't leave Eli! I can't leave the twins!"

     "Quit being so selfish," she snaps.

     Surprised I look at her angry expression.  "How am I being selfish? You call wanting to see my family everyday selfish?"

     "Yes, imagine how much of a better life they will have without you around. Tiffany can have her own room. We would have more food around the house since I don't have to worry about buying anything for you. Their life will be a whole lot better when you're gone."

     Tears were freely running down my cheeks. She had a point though. She will have more money to spend on everyone else without me around. I can't be selfish anymore. I decide right then that I would leave without a fight.

     "No! Mommy, no! Don't leave me," Eli says while grasping my legs tightly. I look down at him. He has snot running out his nose, his eyes are red and puffy, and you can see the tear tracks down his face.

     "I have to go baby. There's nothing I can do."

     "Take us with you, sis," says Aidan with a forlorn expression across his face.

     I can't do this, today has been too hard. I don't think I can take it anymore. I look around at the faces of the three boys I would give my life for. I can't just leave them. I might not be able to take them with me, but I could visit them. Right?

     "Ms. Norwood? I can still come visit them right," I ask hopefully.

     She scoffs. "No, Ivy. I don't want you around them anymore. You're a bad influence. Look how their acting now. They're just acting in your footsteps."

     "You can't keep me from them! They're my family. You can't do this," I whisper the last part sliding onto the floor. I grab Eli, and squeeze him to me breathing in his scent. I can't leave them here forever. I can do this; I'm stronger than this. Angry at myself I put Eli back on his feet. Standing up I glare at Ms. Norwood. She can't take them away from me. They're the only thing I have.

     "You have three choices: one you let me visit every day, two I don't get adopted, or three they come with me. Choose one."

     "You're stupid if you think that you can stand there and make demands. You're leaving Ivy. You're never going to see them again."

     My body starts shaking with anger, I turn my eyes towards the curtains and flames quickly coat them making the light blue disappear. I look back at Ms. Norwood, keeping my eyes cold letting her know that I meant exactly what I said.

     "Choose!" my voice booms.

     "I have no choice! They can't go with you! They are better without you! Look at yourself, you silly girl, did you even think about the boys when you decided to start catching things on fire?"

     That statement made my anger lessen a fraction. I look over at Eli and am surprised to see a determined expression etched on his face. I look over at the twins and the same determinations masks them.

     "Don't worry about us Ivy," Aidan says.

     "Yeah the fire won't hurt you, and we can keep it from hurting us," adds Arlan.

     "What do you mean?"

     "We know, sis. You have the fire. You're really special. Do you really think your protectors would leave you by yourself? They needed somebody to tell them what was going on. What better than twin orphans? Plus, Arlan and I can put up force-fields. Eli, well I think you know already, he can read minds."

     Shock runs through my body. It was okay for things like that to run through my head, but saying it out loud was overwhelming. It made it real, something I had to deal with. What did he mean by my protectors? I look over at Ms. Norwood and she has a frightened look on her face.

     "I didn't know. I didn't know you had the fire. I'm sorry. Really sorry, I'm s-sure we can work something out," Ms. Norwood stutters.

     "Aidan, what did I tell you about Ivy's identity?" I hear a familiar voice boom from behind me in the doorway. I didn't want to turn around. They were just dreams. I tell myself. They weren't real, that voice isn't real.

     "Not to let anyone find out," Aidan mumbles looking down at the floor.

     "Yes, now what is going to happen now that Ms. Norwood knows?"

     "She has to die," Arlan whispers.

     "Exac-"

     "No!" Eli interrupts him. He glares at the man I still don't have the courage to look at.

     "Who are you?"

     "Eli," he says defiantly, making me smile even with the fire blazing around me.

     "Hmm, well what do you want to do then little guy."

     "Big guy," Eli says pointing at himself angrily.

     The man chuckles. "Okay, whatever you want. Now, I need to take care of the woman to keep E-Ivy safe."

     "Uh, Wyatt?", Aidan asks.

     "Yeah?"

     "Well Eli is special too. He can um, read minds and make people memories from about twenty minutes before hand go away," Arlan says quickly making his words hard to make out.

     "Does he?" Wyatt says with slight aggravation in his voice. "And why didn't you tell me?"

     "You would want to take him. You can't take him from Ivy," says Aidan.

     He lets out a breath. "Fine we will do it the clean way. Ivy put out your fire. Eli do your thing."

     I quickly imagine the flames dying down, and to my surprise they disappear. This is so cool. Eli walks up to Ms. Norwood, who looks frozen to the spot, and holds up his hands to be picked up. She leans down and grabs him. As soon as he is in her arms Eli brings his hands up and places them on each side of her head. Her eyes glaze over, and her stare turns blank almost lifeless. Eli's face is full of concentration, not letting anything distract him. All of the sudden Eli drops his hands and slumps into Ms. Norwood's arms looking completely drained. I walk over to her and took Eli out of her hands, trying to prolong the inevitable.

     "I don't think that is going to work. You can see my face now Ivy."

     I turn around and stare hard at him. The first thing I notice is his green eyes. I quickly look down on his finger. There it is the ring I saw. I guess they weren't just dreams.