Finding Ivy Part 22

Chapter 22

     I make my way down the stairs thinking about what Chris said. How could someone not have a soul mate if we were all made for one? Has this ever happened before? What if he wasn't telling the truth?

     My wrist starts to ache causing me to look down. The stone bracelet that Chris gave me seems to have tightened. Why am I questioning Chris again? He wouldn't lie to me, he loves me. I know what I really need to do though; I need to talk to Aaron. Without realizing exactly when, the bracelet had loosened and the ache is gone.

      I shrug my shoulders, and step of the last stair. Aaron is still standing in the same spot, looking distraught. I scan his features while he's not paying attention. He really is cute. Sure, Chris is cute in his own way, but Aaron has him beat hands down. I bring my eyes up to my favorite part of him, his eyes. When I do though, I flush in embarrassment. How long has he just stood there and let me stare at his body?

      He flashes me a breathtaking smile, "You're adorable when you blush."

     A chill runs down my back in response and my face turns a darker shade of red, "Thanks," I mumble.

     "You wanted to talk to me? Look, if it's about the whole don't kiss Chris thing. I understand that I was out of line, but how would you feel if I had to make out with someone that claimed they were in love with me?"

     Pain, that's what I feel. A sharp pain in my chest. I knew that I wouldn't like it if he was with someone else. Then my own words hit me. I wouldn't like it, not my fire but me. My eyes widen in alarm. What does this mean?

     "Y-you're right. I wouldn't have liked it. I would have been mad at you. I might have even tried keeping you away from her, but I would have eventually understood why you did it."

     "And I do understand why. You're such a kindhearted person, Ivy. You can't just watch someone suffer. Chris dying would have never happened right then with you there. No matter how much I wanted him to," he mumbles the last part making laughter bubble out of my chest.

     His eyes snap up to mine and that genuine smile from before is back on his face. I look into his blue eyes and realize how they seem to lighten up around me, "It's so beautiful. I find it amazing that something can sound so beautiful, can make me so happy by just hearing it."

     My breath catches in my throat causing my laughter to stop. Why is he saying these things now? When I already made up my mind?

     "What? Look, Ivy. I know that I'm not the nicest guy in the world. I'm not some goody good like Chris. The only person I really care whose feelings I hurt are yours. Why do you think I'm so nice to your family? Sure, I grew to l-like them," he stumbles on the word making me smile at his cuteness, "But I would never have even made the effort if I didn't think that you would want me to. I've been in love with you since I was two years old, Ivy. If you had your memory, you would understand what that means."

     I look at him confused and slightly frustrated, "I'm tired of everyone keeping secrets. Please, just for once tell me straight up what you're talking about."

     He takes a deep breath, "Fine, has Wyatt explained how you got your powers?"

     I nod my head at him, 'Guys and there drawn out explanations', I think frustrated.

     "Okay, well the grandparents don't really choose who to give it to."

     "What do you mean they don't choose? How else would we get them?"

     "It a power that's passed down through the family, every other generation. Not, like other powers."

     "Wyatt explained that already. Now, will you please just spit it out?"