Finding Ivy Part 2

Chapter 2

I open my eyes and glance over, the bright green numbers flash at me telling me I only have five minutes before the annoying beeping would go off, and I would have to leave the warmth of my bed. Lying there, I tell myself 'One more year, Ivy. Just one more year.'

I'm about to get up when my door cracks open and I hear giggling. Knowing what is about to happen, I tense up and wait. All of the sudden I hear them take off at a run and dive onto my bed. I grunt as they three little bodies descend on me screaming "Doggie pile!"

"Aidan, Arlan" They look up at me with their brown puppy dog eyes trying to look innocent. I hate that look; they can make me do anything with that look. My face softens and I forget why I was about to yell at them. Aidan and Arlan are seven years old and identical twins. Their shaggy blonde hair always hangs in their eyes. They are the master minds behind all of the evil plots at the foster home.

I hear a sniff and look over at Eli. He is my baby, not literally of course, but I treat him like my own child. If he gets adopted it will tear me apart. He's only four and could actually pass for my little brother with his red hair and green eyes. The only difference is he has freckles that sprinkle his nose and cheek bones and my hair is a darker red than his. He has been here since he was a baby, and I was the one who took care of him. He started the habit of calling me mommy, and every time I try to explain that I'm not his mom he cries so I just learned to live with it.

"Come on guys it's time to get ready for school. Aidan, Arlan go brush your teeth. Eli today you're going to go to day care, so come on lets go get you dressed and then we can get you a BIG breakfast since you're a big boy now."

"No, mommy. I stay," Eli says as the twins sulk out the door heading to the bathroom to start getting ready. I sigh in frustration, every day we go through this. Eli wants to go with me where ever I go. It has gotten so bad, that everyone calls him 'Ivy's shadow'.

"Yes, Eli. Remember you're a big kid now. You're going to go to day care and you're going to play with a bunch of kids."

"No."

"Okay well if you don't want to draw mommy a pretty picture I guess that's ok."

His whole face brightens up, "Draw?"

"Yep you get to draw and color and play on swings." I say over-dramatically while lifting him up and spinning in a circle. He starts giggling with a wide grin on his face.

"Gosh can you guys keep it down. Some of us aren't made to get up this early." My best friend and roomy jokes from her bed on the other side of the room.

"Sorry Tiffany."

"No problem Ivy I need to get ready anyway. The early worm escapes the bird and all that."

"Don't you mean the early bird gets the worm?"

"Nope, don't tell me you haven't noticed that Ms. Norwood is a little hawkish. Plus, first day of school." Tiffany yells excitedly dancing around the room. Let me tell you about Tiffany. She is one of those girls people wish they looked like. She is tall and willowy with long straight blonde hair and cornflower blue eyes. She is completely beautiful and always in a good mood. Some people can't handle her personality because she is a little random and hyper, but she is my best friend and I love her to death.

I start to go through my morning routine. I scoop Eli up and run down the stairs with him laughing. I quickly plop him down so he can eat his breakfast. Then, I run back upstairs and jump into the shower. The warm water trickles down my back relaxing me briefly. I dry off, not even worrying about my hair, it will air dry fast. I hop around the room putting my clothes on. Finally I'm done, and I can get Eli ready. Ten minutes later were sitting in the living room, as the twins come barreling in ready to leave. I look at the clock and its 7:20, only forty minutes until school starts.

We walk together down the sidewalk and five minutes later it's time to drop Aidan and Arlan off. Eli's daycare is conveniently connected to the high-school, so I don't need to make any extra stops.

I'm so glad I'm a senior this year. I can remember freshman year, I had English with Ms. Norwood. Talk about awkward. She used to offer to drive us to school, but we all knew she only has five seats. So, I offered to walk then Eli wanted to walk making the twins want to walk to, and that is how my morning routine started.

I turn the corner, and finally see my high school. Students are running in different directions, trying to make sure they are not late. Following in their example, I quickly drop Eli off at the day care with surprisingly no hassle. I smile to myself, It most likely has to do with the fact that there is a new little girl in his class.

I look over my schedule that they sent me during the summer, and I let out a sigh it shouldn't be too hard this year:

1st Block- Mr. Harper- English 3

2nd Block- Mrs. Ferguson- Algebra 2

3rd Block - Mrs. Gomez- Spanish 2

4th Block - Mrs. Kennedy- Chemistry

----------------Lunch-------------------

5th Block - Ms. Luther- Art

6th Block - Coach Harris - Gym

I start walking towards English when I run into a wall. I start to fall back when arms wrap around me to keep me from falling, and that's when I realize it's not a wall it's a guy. I look up and groan. Ethan. The school's star jock, even though he is just a junior he is the top athlete. Football, basketball, and track you name a sport and he is on the team. He is also boyfriend to the 'it' girl, skanky Cynthia.

"Hi, Ivy. Sorry about that."

"No problem Ethan now let me go." I tell him while not making eye contact with him just staring at his nose wishing he would leave me alone before the Slut Squad show up.

Blushing he replies, "Oh yeah sorry about that."

"Stop saying sorry. Just. Let. Go." I say slowly hoping he gets the hint.

"Baby, why is Icky Ivy clinging onto you? Do you need help prying her off you darling?" Great toi late the Slut Squad has arrived.