Prologue

PREVIOUSLY in INFATUATED

They shot him.

With loud, shaky, and panicking breaths, Y/N started the Impala, her eyes almost too watery to be able to see clearly as she drove away from the street, away from Finn.

She held herself together for as long as she could.

She drove for as long as she could, until she figured she was far enough from anyone and any police's perimeter. She drove and she drove, up the small mountain that she had grown so used to visiting.

And it was here that she parked the car on the side of the long grass, stumbling out of the car to trek to the spot she and Finn always loved visiting: their mountainside spot.

And it was here, as Y/N looked out at the small city and canyon's river beneath her, that she fell to her knees, and wailed wildly. She mourned, her heart felt broken into sharper pieces she had never felt before.

EARLIER, in CAPTIVATED.
picks up right
after chapter 034.

THE PROLOGUE

2020

Y/N MUST HAVE been at the mountainside for more than a couple hours, because by the time she had finished crying and was walking to her car aimlessly, the sun was rising. She somehow made her way to Finn's car, sliding into the drivers seat with an exhausted slump.

Her eyes were dry and red, her body exhausted as she just sat in the car with a blank and broken stare. She couldn't seem to shake her mind to let go of the images that she had just seen. The images of her father, laying still and lifeless as blood trickled from his mouth. The images of Finn, getting shot and falling to the ground below him.

She couldn't bare think about it anymore.

She had let herself be open to loving him, to become vulnerable enough to still trust him. Because she loved him, and she still does.

God, why didn't I just say that I fucking loved him? Then maybe he wouldn't have ran out and lured the police away.

Y/N found someway somehow to pin the blame of the outcome of this situation on her, and as per usual, she felt this was all her fault. That Finn's death was her fault.

She loved Finn Wolfhard. She loved him, she loved the way he made her feel, she loved just being around him. Loves, not loved. Not past tense.

She had looked forward to starting fresh somewhere else, with just him. Now what would she do?

She thought for a moment, her options limited.

But then she thought, she already has a plan. The one she and Finn came up with before they parted ways. It's the only thing she knows right now.

With a clouded mind, she started the car again, sniffling as she pulled away from the mountain spot. It would be the last she sees of it in a very long time.

She decided to carry out the plan she and Finn originally had, and go to Long Beach anyways. It was the only option and idea she had, and although she didn't know what she'd do there, she didn't care.