ch21: The Aftermath

Start from the beginning

He threw his arms across my lap, burying his head in the bed covers. "So you can't remember anything from our absolutely amazing concert? My heart is broken. I am dev-a-sitiated."

"It's 'devastated,' stupid," Gilbert corrected. "And besides, that hardly matters. What's important is how (Name) is doing right now."

I waved him off. "I'm fine, guys, really. The painkillers I took should kick in any minute, and then I'll be good to go."

Alfred raised a brow. "Go where, exactly? I am not letting you out of my sight."

"I'm supposed to meet up with Ludwig later," I said. "Probably to talk on student-council terms with everything that happened."

"I'm still kinda spooked about it," Alfred huffed.

"And I'm not? Don't worry, nothing could possibly happen." I began to stand up. "And actually, I think I'm feeling better now."

"I can walk you there," Gilbert offered.

I smiled gently at him. "I'll be fine."

"This is absolutely not fine."

Ludwig was rubbing the bridge of his nose, pacing around the empty classroom. There was a remarkably small number of students that I saw roaming the halls, it being a Saturday and most of them recovering from their hangovers. "I know, Ludwig."

"How did they manage to get in? To get past security? And then poison half the school?"

"I know, Ludwig."

He turned to me. "And your case is especially bizarre. Something about all of this just seems incredibly off. More off than it already is."

"I know, Ludwig."

He threw up his hands in frustration. "This is all so difficult! We worked so hard, risked to much to have everything go according to plan, and the kids at the reformatory still got the better of us. I've never felt so powerless. No matter what we do, it seems like they're always one step ahead."

"I know, Ludwig."

He collapsed into a desk chair, burying his face in his hands and sighing. He was silent for a moment. "...Thank you for letting me get that out of my system."

"You needed it."

"And now," he sat up straight. "We need to figure out what to do."

I nodded, and fiddled with the dog tags I had tucked away into my pocket. "I've been thinking.... It might be worth it to try and contact Al."

"Your friend?"

"Yes. If there's anyone that has the power to keep the kids in the reformatory under control, it's him."

"Have you even seen him since you met him?"

I looked down. "No. But if I send his dog tags back, he'll know to find me."

"You'd think he'd know to find you anyway, after what happened last night," he muttered.

A week had passed since the party. For a few days or so, everyone was a little shaken up, but it wore off soon. We all had too many other things to worry about, anyway. I had been asking around to my friends, and it seemed that most of the remembered nothing from that night, as well. Emil, Ludwig, Lovino... Nothing. And my situation with Vash was still at a halt. Everything just... proceeded as normal, if not a bit on edge.

And then on Friday morning, I saw something very odd.

As myself and my roommates were getting ready, Emma was fastening something to the lapel of her blazer. Something other than her flag and name pin. I peeked over her shoulder to see a round, yellow button.

She smirked. "Like my new accessory?"

I tilted my head. "What is it?"

"Some new, limited-edition merchandise for my new favorite band, of course." She turned around and puffed out her chest, displaying the pin. "What do you think?"

I looked closer, and my eyes widened. Printed on the button was "SUNSHINE YELLOW: MODERN VANDALS," with the name 'yellow' bolded.

"This is Modern Vandals' merch," I said, dumbfounded.

Her smirk grew. "Like I said, limited-edition."

"Oh, please, Emma," Eliza called, poking her head from the bathroom. "You're rooting for the wrong one. Red's obviously the hottest. I put his sticker on my water bottle."

I shook my head. "Where are you guys getting these things?"

Emma shouldered her backpack. "You gotta put in special orders with Kiku or Feliciano. It's kind of a secret underground thing," she chuckled.

"Those two...," I huffed, but a small smile pricked at the corners of my mouth.

"Hey, (Name)?" Lily's shy voice rang as she peeked into the room from behind the hallway door. "There's a letter for you here." She held out a small envelope.

"That's odd," I said, crossing over to pluck the envelope from her. "Mail doesn't usually arrive until tomorrow."

Lily shrugged. "It was waiting for you outside the door."

I flipped the envelope over, checking both sides. There was nothing written on it except my name, no stamps or return address, so it wasn't from any of my family. The flap was only sealed by a bit of tape, and even the envelope itself look haphazardly hand-folded. I tore the tape off and pulled out the small note inside. It read only this;

We need to talk. The trail. Midnight. Bring L.

-A

might mess around and simply start posting shorter chapters so i can actually update

-osa