ch21: The Aftermath

Tick. Tick. Tick. The office is silent, the only sound being the repetitive tick-tocking of the wooden clock on the wall. Headmaster Germania stood over Headmaster Vargas' desk, eyes narrowed into slits, fist clenched where it had slammed a stack of documents down just a few moments before.

After a few moments, Mr. Vargas sighed, reclining back in his chair and massaging his temples. "Look, I know things were bad-"

"Bad?" Germania cut in. "This is past just 'bad,' Julius. This is unreasonable."

"I know, just hear me out-"

"Not this time." Mr. Germania glowered at him, eyes narrowed to knife-cut slits. "This has gone too far. I know you have a soft spot for the kids at the reformatory, but this is holding you back from your duty as headmaster."

Mr. Vargas sighed, looking down in shame. "...I know. But... I also know those kids have nowhere else to go. If it weren't for the reformatory, most of them would be in prison for life."

"Maybe they should be."

Vargas' head shot up, eyes wide. "You don't mean that."

Mr. Germania's face was stony. "They broke into our school. They directly threatened the safety and security of our students. Half of the masquerade attendees got so drunk from the spiked punch, they can hardly remember what happened. If you don't do something about this, then I will."

With that, Mr. Germania marched out of the office, leaving Mr. Vargas to cradle his head in his hands, slumped in his desk chair.

I sat on the soft sheets of my bed, head pounding as I winced at the bright light filtering through the windows. Alfred sat at the foot of my bed, eyebrows knit with worry. My dorm-mates had gone out to the cafeteria to grab breakfast, but Emma had thankfully called Alfred in after seeing the state I was in. My body was sore and the space behind my eyes throbbed, and most importantly...

"You can't remember anything from last night?" Alfred said. "Anything... at all?"

I shook my head, exasperated. "No. None of it. I can't help but feel that something important happened last night, but I just can't remember it."

"You mean, besides half the school getting blackout drunk from the spiked punch?" Alfred scoffed.

I bit my lip. "No, I... I don't think that's it. There's more to it than that."

"Well, at least you're not alone in the memory loss part," Alfred said. "Although.... Not many of the other cases are as severe as yours. The kids who got super-duper drunk can't remember anything past about 10 o'clock, but you can't remember anything past..."

"Mid afternoon," I replied. "Other than what you and Gil have filled me in on. It's a shame.... I really was excited to see you guys perform. I know how much it meant to you, especially Gilbert."

Alfred waved his hand. "Don't worry about it, bro. The concert was awesome, yeah, but I'm sure there'll be other opportunities." He nudged my shoulder. "Besides, I'm sure the guys and I would give you any free concert that you ask for."

I smiled. "Thanks, Al."

Suddenly, the door to the dorm room burst open, and hurtling in came Matthias with Gilbert in tow. "Speak of the devils," Alfred muttered.

Matthias flung himself on his knees beside my bed, panting and hair still messy. Gilbert stumbled after him, barely catching himself from falling. He awkwardly stood up, and straightened out his shirt. It was oversized, and hung loosely on his body. I could only assume it was his sleep shirt.

"(Name)!" Matthias cried. "Gilbert told me what happened, how you can't remember anything from last night!"

Although my head still hurt, I found it in myself to chuckle at his dramatics. "Nope, nothing at all."