ch19: The Barbed Wire

A/N: I think I'm gonna stop spelling out dialogue with their accents. It's kinda confusing to me at this point, and it takes more time to write. I'm sure you'll be able to still hear it in your head when you read it, though.

Approximately one week ago:

"Hey, dude! (Name)! Over here!"

I'd easily recognize the overexcited voice from anywhere, and I turned to see Alfred waving at me from down the hall. I was just about to go to my Algebra class, anxious about the test. Maybe Alfred actually did the homework this time.... Oh, who am I kidding.

"Yo, Alf'. What's up?" I asked, sliding in stride next to him as we both head towards Mr. Höggvari's class.

"Nothing much. Hey, you're in student council, right? They meet every Wednesday?"

I was skeptical about where this conversation was going. "Yeah, why?"

"Well, I'm in President of the Sport Club, as you know."

I nodded. "You've only mentioned it about seven hundred times."

He chuckled. "The sports club's getting pretty big, and we're gaining new members every day. I mean, you don't need to be a fully-fledged member to come to practice, but still. It's getting to be a pretty big deal. The only problem is, it's pretty much all boys. No girls have actually joined... yet."

"Alfred, what exactly are you saying?"

"I'm saying," he started as we reached the classroom doors, "that as the official President of the Sport Club, I formally invite you to come to our practice after school today and consider joining the Sport Club." I completely ignored him, blowing him off and heading to my seat. He hurried to catch up to me. "A-and as your official best friend, I hereby beg you to come to our practice today and consider joining the Sport Club. Please?"

"Please tell me this isn't some kind of pitch to help the boys on your team to get girlfriends or something."

He looked appalled. "Of course not! As President, I couldn't help but notice we're majorly lacking gender diversity. I'm worried that sporty girls might think that the club is a boys-only thing. Which is what I want to avoid. But if you join..."

As charmed as I was by his gender-equality driven mindset, I still held firm. "No. I'm busy enough with Student Council. It's already mid-October, and things are really amping up with planning." It was true; after the announcement was made, the school had blown up with enthusiasm for the idea. The song suggestions and orders for masks kept piling up, and we had to do an impromptu collaboration with the Art club if we wanted to get them all done by the time the dance rolled around.

"C'mon, dudette!" he whined. "We meet Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. It wouldn't clash with Council. You get to meet a lot of people, and it's super-duper fun. Plus, as I said before, our team is seriously lacking in the female demographic."

I hummed. "Wow, Alfred, where'd you learn all those big words?"

"So mean," he whimpered. "But I'm serious, bro. It'll be super fun! And it's a great way to get in shape."

I gave him a sharp look. "And what's that supposed to mean?"

He swallowed, eyes wide, looking like a cornered animal. "Uh, not that you need to get in shape, of course. You already have shape! Crap, I mean, that shape is beautiful just the way it is." I huffed and turned my head away. "A-and perfect, of course. C'mon, (Name), you know I didn't mean it like that. You can just get stronger, and run faster!"

I brushed a strand of hair behind my ear. "Really, I'm good, Alfred. I'm not really that good at sports, anyway. I'd be behind all of you, and I don't want to weigh any teams down."