ch20: O, Glorious Night!

A/N: I was extra and wrote a whole playlist for the dance,,,,,, find in here on Spotify: 

https://open.spotify.com/user/nina.canislupus/playlist/6cOV1CTaS85aFFPGy63pI0?si=vNwZEIapTb-jj_Slq82XUQ

Hoping the link works :')))))

Note: the first 9 songs are the ones that the band plays, and the rest are just through the speakers from Feliciano's phone.

Other note: all of these songs are amazing and thank you so much for the recommendations!! I tried my best to include as many as I could... just trust that, even if it wasn't on the playlist, it probably got played anyway!

The day of the Masquerade crept up on me slowly, and Friday morning, it pounced. Ludwig and I both decided that it'd be best if I slept in, instead of going on our usual run. I got up slowly, getting washed and dressed as I normally do, not saying a word to the girls. However, this left me open to listen in on their conversations.

"Should I put a bow or a flower clip in?" Eliza asked Mei and Lili by the sink. "I kind of want to look extra cute for Roderich today. I still can't believe he said yes when I asked him!"

In addition to Eliza squealing about her date, Lili confided in me about the boy that had asked her: Raivis, the shaky freshman in my PE class. I shared her excitement– Raivis was not a bad-looking boy, and he seemed fairly gentle. Surprisingly, Vash was fairly calm about the whole thing. I thought he was going to pitch a fit when she told him, but he only told her that, "If he says anything mean to you or dares lay a hand on you the wrong way, I'll be there in a split-second." Maybe I was rubbing off on him.

"Definitely the flower clip! It makes the green in your eyes pop."

The rest of the girls didn't have dates, but Emma told me that her brother would be escorting her. Truly, I knew the stress of having a date would be too much for me, but still... The fact that no one asked me was kind of disappointing.

After I was finished getting ready, I grabbed my bag and started to head out into the hallway, but I was stopped when a hand grabbed my arm.

"Wait, (Name)," Mei said, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "We have a surprise for you!"

"We're starting that already?" Emma asked, peeking her head out from the bathroom.

I raised a brow as Mei flounced to her bed, pulling something from under her pillow. All the other girls excitedly gathered around, excited whispers and titters exchanges back and forth. Suddenly, Emma stepped forward, bearing a small, gift-wrapped package in her hands, the others crowding behind her.

"(Name) (Surname), we've noticed how hard you've worked and how much stress you've been under right now. So, as your friends and roommates, we decided to get you something to remind you that we'll always have your back."

"All of us pitched in!" Mei piped up.

Slowly, I reached for the package, and opened it with gentle fingers. Inside was a small jewelry box, and when I lifted the lid, I found a small gold chain with five star pendants on it. I pressed my hand to my mouth at their thoughtfulness.

"We all have matching ones, but we wanted you to be the first one to wear it," Lien stated.

"Each star represents one of us! And so no matter how far away you are, you can remember that we're with you," said Eliza.

My eyes began to fill with tears. Lili's expression turned to one of alarm. "Do you not like it? We can take it back...."

"No, no.... it's just....." The years began to fall. All the stress and worry and fear from the week was leaking out into salty droplets on my cheeks. "You guys are so sweet...!"