ch2; Step 1: Find A Few Helpful Volunteers

I tapped my foot as I was waiting at the airport, anxious for my flight. I was in California at the moment, almost ready to fly across the Pacific Ocean. 

    Hana had accompanied me during the various flights we had to get here, helping me and explaining the program throughout the journey.

    Apparently, my parents had already known about the school being in Japan. They were pretty cool about it, but made sure to drill in my mind that I was absolutely required to call once a week, minimum. Yay.

    I huffed in anticipation. It wasn't that I didn't like going on flights; actually, I loved the feeling of being in an airplane, being so far above all the rest of the world. But no, I was nervous for the start of school. I had already experienced the first day of school nerves, on the day I walked into the school a sophomore. That was just two weeks ago.

    Now, I have that feeling all over again. Except, of course, I will know none of the people there and I will be in Japan. Essentially, it was worse than a simple first-day-of-school nervousness.

    It was way, way worse.

    Although, I was more excited for it to start than I would be for regular school. With all of the new places, traditions, and people.

    My mind started to wander towards the thought of my soon-to-be fellow peers. Would they be nice? Would they accept me?  Will there be a social hierarchy like it was at my school? I try not to dwell on the thought of being an outcast. No, that wouldn't happen. All of the people there were especially interviewed, and got in according to their qualities. Most likely, all of them will be nice, and I'll make friends easily.

    What if I meet someone there?

    I think about the kinds of guys that would be there. Sure, they would be nice- But would there be any difference in personality? Well, duh. Of course there will be. I wonder if the guys there are cute... or hot. I wouldn't mind sharing a class with a sexy dude with a sexy accent.

    Accents. All of the people there will have accents! I got even more excited thinking about the languages and cultures I'll get to experience. Hana had said that they were choosing a couple people from each country, so will I get to meet another student from America?

    My thought are broken when I hear someone shouting. I look around, wondering who would make such a racket in the airport.

    I look over at the other side of the extensive room to where the sound was coming from, and I see a relatively tall (and attractive) teenager. He had dirty blond hair, glasses, and was wearing jeans and an... Aviator jacket? It's not even that cold...

    The teen was waving ecstatically at me whilst smiling broadly. I was confused. I look towards Hana in question, and for the first time since I met her, she look kind of nervous and... Embarrassed. That was the only word to describe her worried features and the reddening of her cheeks.

    "Oh, dear...," She says.  She turns her head to look at me. "I forgot to tell you that-"

    Hana was cut off by the booming voice of the teen, who, as Hana was talking, had made a beeline towards her and I.

    "Yo! So, you're in the program, too? I recognized Hana from my interview. My guide's back at the food place, so I thought I'd stop by to say hi to you!" He said enthusiastically. He seemed like a cheery person, not that I minded. Those kinds of people were fun and nice. I looked back at Hana, and she had a sheepish smile on her face.

    "Yes, I remember you as well, Alfred," Hana said calmly. She shook his hand, and if it was even possible, Alfred's smile got wider.

    Alfred turned towards me, holding out his hand for me to shake. I took it, admiring his strong grip.