Check Yes, Juliet - Ludwig

Gilbert's chest heaved up and down, trying to catch his breath after the last song. He grinned like a maniac at the chaotic response of the crowd. Avalanche had really been a hit.

"Ah, Blue's so dreamy!" I heard a girl beside me squeal.

"Yes, but did you get a look at Yellow? His smile...," Another one chimed in.

I leaned back against the table, nursing my punch in one hand while propping myself up with the other. I had been hanging out by the refreshments table, keeping an eye out for anyone that looked a bit off from the typical student. Ludwig and I were committed at this point, both determined to not let anything slip under our noses. If we're not careful, bad things could happen.

The masquerade was in full swing. All around me were dancing, laughing, smiling students that only felt the beat of the music and each other. It was hard not to get caught up in it, the freedom we all felt, as this was our night. My feet itched to take to the dance floor, so maybe, I could just get a taste of what it's like.

But I stayed put, watching the other students and continuing to scan the cafeteria for unfamiliar faces. I kept fiddling with my beaked mask, a part of my plague doctor costume. In addition to the mask, I had a lacey, black bustier top with sheer sleeves and a short, ruffled skirt. I had borrowed thigh-highs and garters from Eliza (I didn't ask why she had them in the first place) and simple flats. I kept adjusting the miniature hat that was precariously balanced on my done-up hair so it wouldn't fall.

In hindsight, the obstructing view of all the masks was not the best for trying to spot intruders. Not only was mine difficult to look through, but I could hardly tell one student from the other. I kept trying to keep track of faces, but everyone seemed to swirl about, never staying put for two long. Soon enough, everyone just became a blur together. It was no use.

My eyes trailed to the other side of the room near the doors, where Ludwig was stationed. He had opted to dress as a werewolf, and the costume looked hastily done, as he kept adjusting the torn rags of clothes and baggy pants. He kept looking towards the doors, then at the students, and then at his watch. Dutifully keeping track of everything, as I knew he would.

I was truly lucky to have him on my side, even if it wasn't what I had originally planned, I thought.

I took another swig from my punch.

"Ah, (Name), fancy meeting you here," said a sultry, droopy voice next to my hear.

I nearly choked on my drink. "Good evening to you, too, Francis."

He chuckled before lifting up his mask to give me a wink. "The one and only, but you found me out too quickly! I thought I might startle you."

"Don't worry, you did," I said. "You seem to have an affinity for getting close to my face."

"Guilty as charged."

I looked him up and down, surprised to see him only dressed in a simple black suit. Knowing him, I was expecting something fancier that stuck out in the crowd.

He tilted his head. "Like what you see?"

"You wish," I playfully scoffed.

"Of course I do, how could I not?" He sighed, sidling up even closer to me. "(Name), I have been meaning to ask you..."

"Yes?"

"...Why don't you have a date?"

I groaned. "Please, not this again."

"No, no, I'm serious," he pressed. "I know you're yearning to go out and dance, and I have no doubt that you'd catch every eye in the room. But instead, I see you here, sipping punch and watching everyone else have the time of their lives. Why does a girl as lovely as you look so lonely on a night like this?"