King of Company

It had occurred to Ivar that your constant pestering had stopped. Which was bothering him more than when you'd been fretting around him.

Being king didn't exactly leave him with free time. You had taken to constantly fussing, over his food, his hair or his clothes. At first he had insisted that your constant fussing and touches annoyed him. But now that you'd stopped he missed it.

In fact you hadn't been paying him much attention at all. Though you slept beside him, you were asleep first. He was often late to meals and had missed you once he sat to eat.

"Where is she?" Ivar asked as he looked around the main hall for you. Hvitserk and Ubbe glanced at each other.

"She had to go and help some people with the traders." Hvitserk answered quickly. He glanced at Ubbe again who nodded.

"She ate a little while ago." Ubbe added.

"So she no longer wishes to spend time with me!" Ivar snapped bitterly. He was in a worse mood all evening. By the time he pulled himself into bed you were asleep, he thought.

After a few moments he sighed, reaching out to stroke the back of your neck. "Ivar?" you called out groggily. He didn't say anything sas you rolled over. He wrapped an arm around you and pulled you against his chest until he could rest his chin on your head. He could feel you slowly falling back to sleep as you traced his tattoos. "I missed you."

Ivar frowned at the softly sighed words. You missed him? If you had missed him then why had you been avoiding him?

He wanted to shake you awake and demand to know what you meant. However deep down he knew. He'd started it first. Constantly having you sent off somewhere, demanding that you leave him alone. He kissed the top of your head and sighed, stroking the bare skin of your shoulder that your night dress left exposed. He wanted to say something but he wasn't sure what to say. He missed you as well. Though it had taken him days to realise it. He could apologise for running you away but he didn't want to admit it was his fault. He settled for playing with your hair.

"You missed me?" He said finally.

"Of course. You have been so busy and you wanted to be alone whenever you were not... it has been a while since we have been alone together." You explained as you looked up at him, still leaning against his chest.

"We sleep beside each other. Every night. I cannot fulfill your every whim and rule!" Ivar snapped. You looked away as he flinched. You were right but he didn't want to agree. If anything it stung his pride that you felt neglected.

"I still miss your company." You said quietly. Looking back at him. He moved a little so he could grip at your night dress, pulling it to your waist as he kissed you. Large worn hands skimmed up your back, keeping the sharp touch of cold from sinking into your skin. One hand cupping your cheek, his thumb rubbing your jaw line as the other skimmed back down your body.

"Well I think, as your husband and your king, I shall have to do something about your lack of company." He said as he started kissing his way down to your neck, smiling as he bit gently at your collar bone, luring a gasp from you.