Possession

Ivar rolled his eyes so hard his head ached. You were humming a familiar tune, one hand holding your dress out of the mud while the other gently stroked his hair as he followed along. He often wondered how you managed to move through the busy streets when he wasn't glaring from your side.

People flead at the sight of him, being sure to step out of the way. The amount of times you would have walked into something had Ivar not been there like a barrier. As if you were thinking something similar you misstepped and stumbled into his side, wobbling when he shoved you back and sent you toppling into someone on your otherside.

"Careful!" A friendly voice had you gazing up in horror at the thought of toppling into someone.

"I am so sorry!" You gasped quickly before immediately falling silent and blushing.

"It was an accident. Or perhaps the fate of the Gods?" The man you'd bumped into smiled and Ivar frowned as an odd look crossed your face, not unlike the time he'd scared you and Ubbe had hurried to comfort you.

"I do not imagine they would have an interesting plan for me." You said quickly and laughed nervously when the man chuckled and disagreed with you. Ivar's fingers clenched into the growled and a growl forced it's way out of his chest as he watched you slowly walk away, forgetting he's even been with you all morning.

"What happened?" Hvitserk asked through a mouthful of apple.

"I do not know. But I do not like it." Ivar's voice was close to a snarl and Hvitserk's eyebrows shot up as he glanced back over to you.

"He stole your woman!" Hvitserk started laughing, clutching his sides as he continued, the thought you, rarely allowed out of Ivar's sight, wondering off with a stranger.

*******

"Ivar?!" You gasped having been summoned by a frightened looking Thrall who hurried you to Ivar as quickly as she could.

"Why are you here?" He asked without looking at you, buried under furs in the dimly lit room.

"You... you did not ask for me?" You asked worriedly, trying to see if he was ill or in an awful mood.

"Why would I ask for you when you clearly do not care about me anymore?" He bit out quickly, flipping over quickly when you sighed and didn't come any closer.

"Ivar... what do you mean?" You asked, concern for his brooding expression lured you to the den he'd created on the bed.

"You have decided I am not good enough!" He hissed and you leant closer, trying to coo him into comfort. "No longer visit me."

"Ivar I was busy yesterday and it is the only day I have not seen you!" You said feeling irritated that he was throwing a fit.

"You have abandoned me, tricked me into thinking you cared." His voice wavered and you felt guilty for your anger, leaning over to him. "I thought it would take more than a man being nice to you for you to betray me!" He hissed nastily, flowing from worried to bitter as easily as the weather changing.

"I have not betrayed you Ivar, I am not something that you own, I am free to do as I wish." You snapped without thinking but your outburst had the opposite of Ivar's usual reaction.

"What shall I do without you, hmm?" He said with a wobbly voice which melted into tears. "No one will love me if you abandon me."

"Ivar, your mother and brothers all love you!" You insisted but it wasn't what he wanted to hear. "It is alright, please Ivar... I am not going to abandon you!" You insisted, leaning closer to him.

It was a mistake to do it. His hand latched onto your waist, tugging the fabric of your dress tight as he tugged you up towards him. His hand reached out to grip the one that was holding you up against his chest and brought it to press kisses to it, distracting from the grip that claimed your waist, stopping you from escaping if you had wanted to.

"I'll be alone if you leave me." He whispered against your head, leaning up to press his cheek to yours. "It would be your fault."

"Ivar I... I am not leaving you alone, I swear." You promised, guilt sinking itself into you, as he tugged the hand he had clutched onto, using his grip to pull you closer.

*******

"What do you want?" Ivar asked the nervous man who knocked several times before pushing the door to your cabin open.

"I was looking for (Y/N), I have not heard from her or seen her and I wanted to be sure she was alright." He explained quickly, genuinely concerned that he hadn't seen you.

Ivar glanced to his side where you were laying, sleeping as one of Ivar's hands played with your hair, letting you rest while he occupied himself with the board and roughly carved figures in front of him. "You have seen she is fine, you can leave."

"(Y/N)?" He asked quickly and Ivar stroked down your cheek, fingers teasing across your neck as he watched you shift but not wake.

"She has been upset, I would not wake her." Ivar threatened, glaring at the man still stood in the doorway.

"She was not until she had to see you, what ever has happened is your own fault!" He snapped and Ivar's head cocked to the side as his hand stroked down your side, fingers tangling with yours.

"Whatever has upset her is not your concern, who are you to her hmm, you will not replace me." Ivar spat dangerously and his eyes flitted to the knife blade across the table, as if daring the man to reach it first.

Instead he slammed out of your cabin, jolting you into semi consciousness. "Ivar?"

"It was nothing, sleep (Y/N), I'll make sure nothing takes you away." He smiled to himself as he gripped one of the rough figures in his hand and looked to the door, pleased that he'd rid himself of his competition and securing his hold on you again.