Inn lítt fugl {The Little Bird}

You normally chatted to no end over dinner but today you were quiet, chewing thoughtfully which had everyone looking at you as if they expected some long winded question that would result in a long nighttime trek to Floki for answers. Margrethe sighed and glanced at you, having tried to dull the idea you'd come up with all day.

"I want to go to England." You said finally and everyone froze.

"Inn lítt fugl want's to go to England." Ivar chuckled as he recovered from the shock first.

Ubbe shook his head and glanced at Margrethe who sighed. "You do not want to go (Y/N), it will not be a pleasant trip."

"I don't care I want to go." You snapped while your fists clenched.

"If she wants to go we cannot stop her." Hvitserk pointed out which resulted in Ivar and Sigurd glaring at him.

"You really want her to go?" Sigurd asked but he simply shrugged.

They let it go for a few days until they spotted you gathering supplies. While they each took a turn to convince you to stay with Margrethe, Ivar was only one to continue the attempts.

"Do you need help?" Ivar teased when you tried to practise fighting with the shield in your hand but found your arms ached.

You ignored him and continued trying your best but when you turned your body jolted to a stop as alarm burst through you, Ivar's axe at your throat. "I do not need your help." You growled out and shoved his arm away from you.

"Hmm, very well." He said with amusement and looked down at you from the edge of his seat.

"Do not make that face." You sighed out and scowled at Ivar who cocked his head and smirked at you.

"I did not make a face I simply agreed with you." His voice held the same amused but condescending tone as before which made you stomp up to him.

"You have that stupid look on your face, the one you get when you think i'm useless, well i'm not you are!" You huffed and slapped the flat of the practise sword against Ivar's chest.

His hand shot out to grip your face before you'd even realised his eyes had darkened and his entire body language had twisted into irritation.

"My legs do not work yet I am more useful than you, you cannot even hold a shield, I can lift you with one arm." He proved himself by jerking you up, pain shot through your cheeks as panic forced you to drop the sheild and wooden sword.

"Ivar!" Someone called and he glanced over your shoulder before ignoring them and sneering at you. "Ivar let her go!" You tried to turn and see who was called, knowing it was most likely Helga but Ivar's grip was so strong it hurt to try.

"You see even when you are afraid you do not fight you just wait for me, my brothers even Helga to rescue you, what sort of viking needs to be rescued?" Ivar hissed and threw you to the ground so hard it knocked the air out of you and your hands burned from the rough ground.

"Ivar... what have we told you about being so rough with (Y/N)!" Helga fretted when you lay stunned on the ground trying to catch your breath.

"I was as rough with her as I would be with my brothers." He defended but his answer did nothing more than have her fuss even more as she helped you get to your feet.

"Which is too rough." She snapped and hurried you away.

-----------------------------------

"Go away." You whispered. Ivar ignored you and sat the opposite side of the fire, knowing well enough that after an outburst you would be jumpy and refuse to have him near you.

A lesson he'd learnt when he pushed you into the ocean after a fight with Sigurd and when he'd gotten jealous of the attention you were accepting from Bjorn and Ubbe, who had come to your rescue, he'd tried to hug you. You'd screamed and thrown a rock that you'd got caught in your dress and Ivar had a tiny reminder in his hair line in the shape of a curved scar.

"Why are you angry with me?" He watched you carefully as he thought of his next words and sighed. "You know I am right."

"You are never right about anything!" You replied childishly and growled under your breath when Ivar chuckled.

"I am always right." He countered quickly, pulling himself over to lean his head on the bed.

"Well you... you... just go away Ivar." You said firmly but he ignored you and gripped your hip, rolling you until you lay on your back.

Once you looked at him he slid his hand away, letting it drop into his lap. Your face was sticky with tears and he half tempted to go and find his brothers. They always seemed better at comforting you, or at least that's what Ivar thought.

"I do not want to go away, I feel... I regret hurting you." He muttered, his fingers reaching out to brush over the bruises on your cheek.

"Why do you all get to go to England, I want to go." You insisted and rolled over to face Ivar who cocked his head and shrugged.

"We are not going to look at the pretty flowers and funny buildings (Y/N), we're going to get revenge." Ivar sighed as he slid down against the edge of the bed and let you fiddle with his hair.

"Aslaug wouldn't be afraid of battles." You muttered and Ivar's body tensed as he turned back to you.

"No she would not have and neither are you, but it is because you have no idea what you are going to experience." Ivar warned and you rolled your eyes as you flipped to your front.

"I have beaten Ubbe and Sigurd lots of times I know how to fight." You insisted by Ivar simply shook his head and avoided your gaze. "You let me win?"

"We all promised to take care of you." He glanced over at the door when Helga and Floki's voices could be heard. "Swear not to tell anyone else and I will show you how to fight properly." He smiled when you nodded, both of you glancing up to look at the couple as they came inside.

"Ivar, what a surprise." Floki hummed sarcastically.

"I do not see why old man, if you are feeding (Y/N) I want food to." He chuckled when Floki shook his head.

"Stealing your lítt fugl food, you shall grow fat and she shall go hungry." Floki smiled as Helga greeted you before helping you to your feet so you could help her cook.

"Better fat than mad." Ivar quipped, smiling when you jumped as his fingers brushed over your ankle.

"Better mad than madly in love." Floki announced loudly and smiled when Helga began to argue that he was wrong.

Ivar's hand squeezed your leg as the two argued and his head lolled back as he opened his mouth and waited for you to drop a piece of carrot into it.

"Ivar!" Helga gasped playfully. "We shall have no food left if you eat it all." You giggled when he shrugged and smirked at you.