The private lift

You'd been nervous when you first moved into the apartment. You'd been shown around by a motherly woman named Maude. She'd fussed around you and assured you that her husband could help fix anything in your room you didn't like. She'd warned you about your roommate but promised he was like a son and was very sweet when you got to know him.

When you moved in you'd brought your boxes up and dumped them in your room. When it came to moving your furniture you were glad that there was an elevator that went up to the top floor. The flat at the very top was larger than the others, you assumed. It was the only one on that floor. There was a large rooftop garden that looked over the city.

As you struggled to shove your mattress out of the elevator you groaned. It was harder than it looked when you started. You thought back to the pile of heavier furniture in the lobby waiting to be dragged up. As you almost fell through the door with the mattress banging against the wall you paused. You'd taken a break to pick up your furniture and left the flat empty. Now there was a group of four men on the large sofa in the living room. They were sprawled, fighting over controllers for a game that was blaring on the TV. There was a taller blond man on the balcony arguing on the phone. All four men on the sofa turned to stare at you as you blustered in, out of breath and flustered.

"Who're you?" The youngest one asked quickly.

"Oh! I'm (Y/N). Maude said that she told you I was moving in?" You answered nervously. The four men just stared at you curiously before the talst got up and approached you as if you were a wild animal.

"Would you like some help?" He asked wearily.

"Um sure. All of my stuff is in the lobby downstairs. The movers kind of left it there." you explained.

"Why didn't you just use the elevator?" The one with his hair in a bun asked.

"Oh! I did!" You answered and gestured to the lift.

"No not the guest one. This one." He said and pulled you away to a door to the side of the kitchen. He slid the door open and revealed a large lift with buttons lower than the guest one. "Sig! Come help us will you?"

The shorter blond boy rolled his eyes and nodded, heading into the lift with you. When he pressed the button the lift moved and you managed to get your arm free. "I'm Hvitserk, that's Sigurd and Ubbe is the one moving your mattress. You're living with our little brother Ivar."

"Oh, it's nice to meet you all. What about the big guy outside?" You asked curiously.

"That's just Bjorn, he's our half brother. He's arguing with his fiance. She found out how many other women he's been sleeping with." Sigurd said with a disapproving tone. With the bigger lift it only took two trips to get the rest of your furniture in the flat and with the help of the brothers your room was set up in a couple of hours. You thanked them all and they shrugged it off like it was nothing. Hvitserk cooked dinner and you spent the rest of the evening squashed between the boys who were asking you all kinds of questions.

****************

It took a few months for you to fit in with the Ragnarssons. After a year and a half everything just fell into a comfortable rhythm. Returning home from shopping you juggled the bags ready to bump your key in the private lift and head on straight up to the kitchen. With a groan you realised someone had parked their car right in front of the side entrance and the only other way to get to the lift would be through the maintenance door. Which could only be opened by Floki.

Shrugging you figured you'd just have to use the guest lift. It would just take a minute or two longer. By the time the lift pingged and you were in the corridor leading into the apartment you sighed, ready to drop the bags. As you entered you heard Ivar. You couldn't make out what was going on but you kicked your shoes off in the hall and headed out into the living room. Heading in you were ready to get Ivar to help you shove the frozen food in the freezer while you climbed on a stool to stock the fridge. "Hey Ivar I'm..."

In a moment you and Ivar both panicked. You'd walked in on him with his hands down his boxers, eyes squeezed closed and you could have sworn he moaned your name when you had walked in. Ivar pretended to be on the phone, clearing his throat and talking to his brother while you hurried past, dumped the food on the kitchen counter that was across the open plan room and hurried to your bedroom.

After about an hour Ivar quietly knocked on the door. "Um... (Y/N)? I put the shopping away and ordered some food?"

"Oh! Ok great that is so great. I'm just doing something and I'll be out later." You said awkwardly. Both of you were standing next to the door and you could just open it to speak to him but the thought of looking him in the eye was mortifying. He had expected you to come in through the private lift that makes a noise and alerts people in the flat that it's being used.

"I'm sorry. Is this weird?" Ivar asked quietly.
"It's ok!" You answered and winced when he chuckled bitterly.

"But it's weird now."

"Yeah. A bit."

"Well I'm going to go and hide in my room. Not to carry on or anything. Just... this is awkward now." You heard the sound of his crutches on the laminate floor and his door open and close. Letting out an awkward sigh you started to giggle. Once the both of you were over the awkwardness it'd probably be pretty funny. If it was anyone else you'd tell Hvitserk and Torvi right away. Deciding to try not to worry too much about what to say when you left your room and what would happen you sat on your bed and started playing with your phone.