2

"Ashlyn, when I tell you to do something, you do it." my father said, voice strict and firm.

I sighed, doing my best not to roll my eyes as I nodded.

"You know the consequences of disobeying." my father sighed before taking off his gold watch and placing it on his desk.

He sounded like he was almost disappointed he had to do what he was going to do.

but I knew he was excited.

After an hour or so ( I lost count ), I exited the room sporting a bruised lip and a black eye, something I know would bother me for a while.

Just a few more days. It's almost here.

My 18th birthday.

You are free after that, Ashlyn.

"Ms. Lee?" called a delicate voice.

I sighed again before turning around and seeing a maid, probably a newbie based on the way she was shivering.

At the sight of my face, the maids rather lovely near grey eyes widened and worry crossed her features.

"Yes? Is something wrong?" I said, pretending her facial expressions didn't anger me.

I hated it when people worried for me. In the end, it's not like they were going to do anything about it.

"No, I was just told by Mr. Lee to accompany you to your room" the maid said, head low.

"I can take myself to my own room thank you very much" I said, giving her a smile and walking off before she could say more.

I knew my father would have wanted her to follow me.

"So, he doesn't trust me to walk to my own room now, huh?" I said out loud before smirking to myself.

Well, he's right not to trust me.

With that final thought, I was out the door, phone, AirPods and wallet already in hand since I always kept them with me for quick getaways like this.

As a fresh breeze hit my face, I laughed in joy and spun around, loving the brief taste of freedom I could experience.

In just a few more days, I would be roaming around whenever I want. I would never have to sneak out again.

but then again, I loved the thrill of doing the things I shouldn't be doing. It's what made life fun.

Plugging in my AirPods, I played my favorite song and walked onto the road.