Chapter 34 - Highest Act of Treason

Kit was standing in a large drawing room just outside the ballroom, lightly pacing back and forth. Ella was late. He knew that it took women much longer to dress – especially for a ball – but he didn't think it would take this long! Alistair had already come into the room twice to check and see if Ella had arrived, leaving both times with a slight frown.

Sighing heavily, Kit unconsciously fingered the mask in his hands. He and Ella had returned from the Seaside Cottage almost a week ago. He couldn't believe what had transpired since then. He'd given Ella the last of her presents - a music box that played Lavender's Blue (the tune she had sung the day he'd found her at the Ezzell Estate) and a hound pup that Ella took to immediately, christening him Bruno – and he'd also set plans to take care of the Durington affair immediately.

Though tonight's ball was to celebrate the wedding to take place in two days, Kit was going to deal with Count Welling. Ella had agreed that the night would be perfect because they could pull the Count aside while the festivities were distracting the other nobility and common folk; they didn't want the reprimand to be a public display.

There was a soft knock on the door and Kit turned just as it opened. His heart stopped before taking off like a hummingbird's wings. She stood wearing a gown of the deepest brown with leaves embroidered in gold, orange, and fiery red swirling all around the fabric like an invisible wind was blowing them two and fro. A part of her long blonde hair was pulled back, the locks being held in place by silver clasps fashioned in the form of twigs with gold plated leaves. A brown mask covered her eyes the sides outlined with small painted leaves the same color as her dress. Ella's attire signified Autumn. Kit had to chuckle quietly as he realized his outfit displayed Summer, the happy colors of green, blue, and accents of yellow making up his attire.

Stepping forward, he took Ella's hand and kissed it. "My lady," he muttered, "You are exquisite."

Ella's brown eyes, heightened in color from the mask, sparkled as she replied, "I thank you very much for the compliment. I apologize for keeping you waiting; they were having difficulty fixing my hair properly."

Kit grinned. "After seeing the end result, the wait was worth the effort."

Ella blushed.

There was a slight knock and Alistair peeked around the door before coming inside. He was wearing his usual uniform with a white mask resting over his forehead at the moment. He sent Ella a warm smile before addressing Kit. "Are the two of you ready, Your Majesty? The guests are getting quite restless."

Ella looked upset. "I am sorry," she said again. "I know they have been waiting for a while."

"Ella, relax," Kit soothed. "They've had plenty to occupy them. Since this is a ball where we are introducing ourselves, it is natural to be the last ones onto the dance floor. Besides, they've entertained themselves with a few dances, plenty of food, and enough gossip to fill their ears for at least three weeks."

Ella nodded though she still looked upset. Kit caught Alistair's eye and the Grand Duke took the hint to leave them alone. The second the door was closed, Kit took Ella gently by the shoulders and ran circles over them with his thumbs. "Ella, darling, tell me what is truly on your mind?"

Her adorable brown eyes shifted back and forth a couple of times. "I'm nervous," she confessed. "I've been introduced to the nobility already but royal families from the neighboring kingdoms are here including the Princess Chelina of Zaragosa."

Kit furrowed his brow. "Why would that matter?"

Ella frowned. "Kit, I'm a common servant turned into a future queen. I haven't been raised as they have. I still have plenty of lessons on how to be a queen to accomplish. I feel so unprepared! What if I embarrass you?"