Chapter Sixteen

Huma had denied everything that had been leveled against her, " All these charges are nonsense, utter nonsense, I want my lawyer here." She demanded. Mr. Huessin agreed, " Yes you are absolutely right, Ms. Edamare, you do need your lawyer,....I don't want anything to go wrong here." He stated, as he opened the thick file he already had on her. " You may think you have evidence against me, but you don't, they have all lied." She shouted, her dark eyes fuming with anger. He smiled, " Officer,...take her back to her cell, we will wait until her lawyer gets her to continue." He said, nodding to the guard. She jerked away from the officer, " Excuse me, do not touch me, I will go of my own accord." She spewed, spinning around and stomping away. She stopped, and looked back, " May I have a visitor? I really need to see someone?" She asked, in a sweet, demure voice, smiling at the investigator. " No,....no visitors, just your lawyer." He ordered, amazed at the change of demeanor. They lead her away. 

Aziz was up early the next morning, but not as early as Sanem, as he looked out the door, he saw she was sitting in her chair on the beach. This child has been through so much, he thought, how has she survived and still kept that innocent aire about her. Still so trusting and loving to all she knew. He slowly walked out to the beach, " Sanem, are you ok? He asked softly, " if you would prefer to be alone I........." No daddyAziz, come join me." She offered, pointing to the other chair. He sat down beside her, quietly at first, waiting for her to open the conversation. " You know, the first day I met you, I admired you, and Emre for that matter. You seemed so genuine, and from what I witnessed you loved your sons very much." I wonder how you allowed your life to be entangled with Huma's, did she trick you in some way, did she portray a lie to you also, to force you to marry her." Sanem asked, still gazing out into the water. The question took Aziz by surprise, and made him wonder himself, how or why did he let her in? " Sanem, in the beginning Huma was not the same woman she is  now, she of course, was always in demand of everyone's attention, but she was very smart and dignified.  I at that time loved Mihriban, and Huma was painfully aware of that, she did everything she could to try and make me forget her, but my heart never left Mihriban. It was a short time after we married, that we had Can, and that seemed to make her happy for a while, but it quickly wore off." He said, clearing his throat. Sanem could tell he was very uncomfortable talking about it, so she interrupted, " Dad, you don't need to disclose all the unhappy years with her, I'm just glad you and Mihriban are together and happy now." she stated, touching his hand. He smiled at her, " You are so much like my love Mihriban, she always protected my feelings too. But if we are all honest here, I'm the one that has caused all this upheaval in your life. I allowed Huma to be in our lives." He said, lowering his head.

Can watched from the door, until his phone rang, " Hello, Mr. Huessin, what's the news?" He asked. " Good morning Mr. Divit, things have progressed here, Ms. Humas lawyer has requested bail, but I'm hoping the judge will deny that request. And there has been another person that is willing to give information against Ms.Edamare, in exchange for some reduction on their prison time served." He revealed. " What, you mean someone that's already in prison has had dealings with Huma." He said, in shock. "Yes, in fact it was someone you put there, Enzo Fabri, did you have a knowledge of this? He asked Can. " Fabri, how do you mean? What information." Can asked, his heart beating fast. " Don't tell me Huma and Fabri  were working together." He asked, feeling his body go numb. Mr. Huessin had to tell him everything, " Well, it seems that Huma was aiding one of Fabris accomplices, Aylin, to infiltrate the agency. Not sure yet how much she helped, but Fabri seems to think it's worth us looking into." He said. Cans head was reeling, did she have her hand in everything that had harmed him over the past few years. Emres involvement wasn't enough, he thought, and all of this to destroy his love for Sanem.  He was determined to get to the bottom of this, find out why Emre wanted to hurt him, and why he lied about all of it. " I need to ask Mr. Divit, have you spoken with you brother since yesterday? He asked. Can tried to concentrate, but the latest news had his head spinning, " What? Have I spoken to him? No, I have not, and why would I." He spewed, his anger lashing out. " I need to disclose something to you, Huessin said, " Emre Divit was the one that set the trap for Ms. Edamare, and informed us that she would be arriving in Istanbul. That's the only way we were able to apprehend her." He explained. " Let your brother give his account of what happened. It's not everything you think." The investigator said.

Leila nudged Emre, " My love, are you awake." She asked quietly. " Yes, Leila, I'm awake, haven't slept all night." He replied. " We need to call Can and Sanem, I know it s still early there, but you need to talk to him." She said. Emre shook his head, " Ok, let me have some coffee, and I'll call." He said, feeling like it was his last day on earth. He knew his dad was there with Can so one call would seal his fate with them both. He brewed his coffee strong, taking a few sips before reaching for his phone. One ring and Can answered, " Emre,...why are you calling, I have nothing to say to you." He blurted out, anger exuding from him. " Abi, please let me explain, I need to tell you what happened." he begged. Sanem pleaded to Can with her eyes, to let him explain. He finally agreed to listen, " Abi, I have done these things that I'm very ashamed of, but I have changed. I was jealous of you, and your relationship with our father, which tainted my judgment.  He relied on you for everything, and I felt like he was pushing me aside. Huma always told me that papa only wanted you, went she left, telling her that I was weak and would never be able to uphold the Divit name." Can cringed when he heard these words, just another example of how cruel his mother could be. Aziz listened to the confession along with Can and Sanem, saddened that he had allowed this woman to infect his children like that. Emre continued, " When she revealed to me that she wanted to show the Aydins how much she despised them, by destroying their business and name in the community, I knew she would stop at nothing to hurt Sanem, and you. I did what I knew had to be done, she had to be stopped. So I told her I would help her, just to get her to come back here and away from Sanem. Please forgive me." He begged.

The tears had filled his eyes, " Emre, you have to give me time, this isn't something I can except overnight." He said calmly. But I'm standing here looking at our father and Sanem, both of which have already forgiven you,....I can tell by the look on their faces. So feel lucky that they are both of a forgiving heart, or you would most definitely be a person that would remain in my past." He uttered, his heart breaking to hear the words. 

" But Sanem thanks you for protecting her parents when we couldn't, and we have news for them that might shift some of the negative and hurtful events to a more pleasant topic." He said. Sanem would like to speak to MomMevkibe, if she's there." He stated, ready to reveal the happiest news they had had in a while. " Yes Abi, they are all here, I'll give her the phone." And thank you for listening to me, I hope your heart will forgive me one day." He uttered, his voice full of hurt. 

Can answered, " Emre, there's a lot of time left in our lives,......lets make the most of it, and try to heal ourselves. ....Learn from your mistakes".......