Ruby

I felt her look at me from across the room. I don't care how cliché that sounds, that's exactly what happened. It was that gaze, that intense ice blue gaze looking my way. 

Here I was, a straight girl in a gay club. My best friend, Brian, was whispering sweet-nothings to some guy he'd just met in the corner. I tried not to look at either of them, but I could not help notice the way Brian's hand roamed to the curve of his new friend's back; and I could not help notice the way she smiled at me in some messed up angelic way.

I think she was drunk. No, it was me. I had four glasses of some terrible over-priced  white wine. I didn't know why I smiled back at her when she smiled at me, but I knew damn well I wasn't about to lead some woman on when I was as straight as an arrow.

I swirled around in my seat, locked eyes with the bartender and shrugged. I didn't know what I was doing here. Brian's fault.

I should be home, in bed...sleeping! I had a huge paper due on Shakespeare in two weeks and I hadn't even begun. What the hell was I doing here on a Tuesday night, at a place called 'The Pink Flamingo'? I wasn't that sort of girl.

Lavender perfume over-rode the scent of cigarettes and cloves. Out of the corner of my eye I saw her lean up against the bar and wiggle her finger at the bartender. I was surprised when she ordered the same horrible white wine I had. I had pegged her for a Jose slinging sort of person.

A lightning bolt dangled from her right earlobe, right next to it was a tiny ruby stud that caught fragments of the light overhead and exploded in colour. She looked over her shoulder at me and her smile was electricity. That was one of those rare moments I wished I still smoked.

The loud, brass sound of music thumped around me, the whole place was filled with its sound. I wasn't sure how long she stood there looking at me, but I remember looking away. Even if I snatched my eyes out I'd still be able to remember the depth of her gaze.

In the cab ride home, Brian gushed about Seth, and the fact that he had his phone number saved on his iPhone, which was tucked away in the back pocket of his blue jeans. A date for this Friday. I could hardly contain my excitement for him. Brian was somewhere between heaven and earth right now, I was lost in the constellations.

I leaned back as he spoke of things to come, grand things between him and Seth. I closed my eyes and drew in a breath. I could smell lavender, I could see the sparkle of red. 

© Christine Bottas. All rights reserved 2015-2016.