Violent Storms

The rain falls upon the street, a mesmerizing staccato beat we've all heard before. You stand on the corner; your eyes stare heavenward, your mind is in outer space. I see the shadows upon your face. I hear your thoughts; they play me a heart-breaking song. The evening stands cold and gloomy, there is winter in its scent. I swear this silence between us is anything but heaven sent. 

You are there behind me, standing in the shadow my silence creates. Sometimes you pretend to love me; sometimes all you can do is hate. Is that your heart beating as wild as a drum? I can feel it; it is the back-beat to this song I am composing with the pandemonium.

I am a porcelain prince on his melancholy throne, I am left alone. Rest a crown of roses upon my head and dub me master of this glory of vast emptiness. In the belly of beasts I lay. I am afraid and I need you.

Open the skies and tear out the lightning from the clouds, I only ever wished of cotton-candy dreams. My heart is a sea of trees, where broken promises go to lose themselves in the vastness of melancholy. Hand them the rope and watch them swing from the branches, as lovely as a pendulum. You have put me there time and time again, and yet there are nights I long for this storm.  

© Christine Bottas. All rights reserved 2015-2017.