Trading Protection

This was the first time Inara stepped out of the luxuries of Mahtab palace, the first time she witnessed what exactly life is in the outside world. She had been fascinated by the lively city and the subtle promise of life it offered. The colorful stalls lined by the side of the narrow alleys, the cheerful laughter of half-naked children playing around the corner, the loud chatter of the merchant and customers bargaining, every aspect of the city seemed fresh and appealing in her eyes.

Exploring the city market in disguise thrilled her senses to further adventures but entering inside the slave market warned her to retreat back. The slave market, unlike the other places of the city she had been till now, held something dark, something dangerous in its air that sent her heart running wildly underneath her chest. To say that the princess was scared would be an understatement. She bunched a fist of her cloak under her sweaty palms, trying to calm herself.

You get scared, you get killed, she reminded herself.

But how do you act in a place you've never been to before? The timid part of her mind questioned.

Venturing into the energetic markets of the city had been an entirely different experience. The folks they looked familiar........normal, not much different than her but the people in the slave market were anything but welcoming. The filth in their stare and the greed in their smile sent shivers down her spine.

Don't let them see your weakness, she prompted in her mind.

So, Inara held her chin high, squared her petite shoulders, and summoning every bit of the regal arrogance she can muster, she treaded confidently along the dark alley of the market. As she went deeper inside the alley, the sight in front of her eyes made her steps falter.

Bounded in rusted iron shackles were the slaves in front of her eyes. Men were dragged mercilessly under the lashes of the sharp leather whip, the pain of their wail resonated across the alley. Then her eyes moved to another line of slaves, making her eyes widened with shock. They didn't even spare women and small children! Inara winced inwardly.

Her eyes caught the lifeless stare of a young girl, the streaks of dried tears made two irregular lines on her dirt-stricken face. Inara clenched her fists as she saw the girl letting herself dragged helplessly by the cruel trader, waiting for the doom to fall upon her.

Such barbarism!!! Her eyes glistened by their pain. I had been one of them. Even though we were in different positions, even though they had it rougher than me, I'd been sold to that bastard by my father. And it'd happen again if I won't fight for myself. If only...... if only I had the power to stop this barbarism......... but not today, I have more important things to do today. It'd be the first step to my succession to the throne. I'd gain power not only for myself but for every one of those innocent people.

"........ Inara......." She didn't hear Alina's pleadings until Alina grabbed the back of her cloak.

The princess turned her head slightly to listen to her maid, "......are you listening, Inara? This is a very bad idea, my lady! We should head back to pal..... our home. Please, listen to me."

"Don't worry Alina. Just keep your head high and walk along with me. I won't go back without getting what I want." The princess replied with a hint of determination and stubbornness in her voice. But her words weren't enough to ease Alina's throbbing heart.

God knows what would happen if any of them would come to know that the eldest princess, the most beautiful woman of the empire, is walking in between them under a veil, without any protection! Alina shuddered at the thought. She couldn't even imagine a scar on the delicate skin of her princess let alone a threat to her life.