Her Suspicions

Inara found herself alone when she reached up to the center of the library, the place where she met Nariman last time. His work table, a large and simple oakwood furniture, was piled up with various scrolls and books arranged neatly in their place. The quill dipped in the inkpot and half-melted candles burning on the candelabra made her assume that it hadn't been long since he left his chair.

She ambled closer to his table, taking slow, silent steps for the library was too quiet for her comfort. And the dark ambiance didn't help either. She tried to peek at the words written on the parchment scroll that was kept quite open, under the golden light of the progressively melting wax sticks.

"I'm here." A voice resonated inside the cavernous yet lifeless library. Nariman's voice.

She swayed her head to locate the source of the voice, searching her target amongst the numerous chambers made up of walls of bookshelves.

He must be there__ she sauntered towards the faint light that led her towards the right corner of the room. Her steps slowed down with an unexplainable fear in her heart. Fear of the dark.

A remote corner of the remote library. By no means does it sound safe to her.

"You came sooner than I expected, your highness. It's still morning." His collected, deep voice stated while his eyes were trained on an old book he held in his hands.

Because I'm desperate, she thought. But_

"I was bored." She responded. "Why is this place so dark, by the way?"

"Pardon me for the inconvenience, but I don't see it of any use to lighten this place when I'm the only person who dwells here." He flipped the page of his book." Needless to say, you'll have plenty of light for your needs, your highness."

She stared at the small table and the chair he had prepared for her, with books of different widths and sizes arranged upon it. That's right, she was going to study in the library.

Inara waited for the right moment to convey her words to him, and the apt moment was here. His brother must be long gone by now and Nariman had almost finished up giving her a brief tour of this enigmatic place.

"As I said, I'll be visiting you frequently from now on, Nariman." She said, watching him halt at her words.

He didn't respond with any words or turn around to look at her but his pause indicated her to continue. She found him impressively calm for someone who was nearly caught spilling imperial secrets just a few moments ago.

"I'll come here to study and I want you to teach me."

"Yes. I get it, your highness." Nariman replied with ease, without giving a second thought to her words.

Wait, what? She heard him clear, right? Did he accept it just like that? No resistance, no reasonable talks, nothing? This wasn't the answer she was expecting from him, though it was in her favor.

"but__" he trailed.

There__there, he would now start with his demands. Or a deal perhaps?

"I'm afraid I won't be of much help as a mere librarian."

Ah,__ Her lips lifted in a subtle smile. "After spending so much time in a place like this, I'm sure you've enough knowledge to teach someone who practically knows nothing."

"I see."

She'd noticed that he'd try to keep his words and replies as short as possible, try to talk to her as little as possible. He was sharp___