Insufferable Men!

The different shades of blue complimented the princess's fair, radiant skin, accentuating the artistic curves of her body, like the velvety fabric of her dress itself, enjoyed the feel of skimming against her soft skin. Her long translucent drape, cascading down her back, adorned with countless green gem-like stones, grazed the trimmed grass lawn as her feet padded lightly over them.

The pride of empire looked no less than the colorful exotic flowers that bloomed in the imperial garden she decided to grace with her presence. Unlike other harem ladies, she was only accompanied by her maid and attendant, leave for the guards standing several feet apart near the corridors, savoring the tinkling sound of her trinkets.

Inara had decided to take a stroll along the south of the imperial palace because she needed a breath of fresh air and just because she had not shown her face to others for long. The same excuse of bad health was not going to work all time and she knew it.

The day was bright, cheery, and to anyone else, she'd have looked like the princess who finally decided to come out of her chambers to enjoy the weather. But Inara had something else running in her mind.

She crouched down to peer at the roses, full in their bloom. Like everybody else, she used to love roses. They used to remind her of the extravagant walls of the music hall, of the rouge that ladies apply to beautify their lips, and of the deep red ruby studded in her mother's ring. But now, it only reminded her of blood. Blood and devastation she witnessed before dying in her last life.

Thinking of blood, the awareness of her upcoming night training with the commander snapped her out from the daze. If she was going to learn fighting, she was surely going to bleed or bruise__ and any bruise or scar would create harmful suspicions for her.

She cupped a rose in her hand, dipping down her head to sniff it. From her position, she then turned her head slightly to peer at Alina, flashing a bright smile in the process. Alina had not uttered a proper word to her since their last quarrel and she had to soon pacify her before things went down between them.

Meanwhile, Alina trailed the princess's every movement silently, trying her best not to let the content appear on her face. It's been so long since Inara had acted like a normal princess. Perhaps her nagging did affect Inara and she finally decided to go out on strolls like old times.

Inara turned around her head and gave her a radiant smile. Alina couldn't help but glance at her kohl-lined eyes as the princess blinked excitedly at her. It's been so long since her friend had allowed applying kohl on her eyes, trying to play sick for days. It made her feel as if she was back in those good old days.

"For the love of God, the roses smell heavenly!" her friend sighed in a blissful expression.

"Hmm__" was Alina's response.

"Make sure to get a bouquet of those in my chamber, will you?"

"Hmm"

A rabbit hopped out of the bushes, straight towards the princess's feet. Alina remembered the empress brought a dozen of them from the foreign merchant for royal princes and princess's amusement.

Inara picked up the rabbit from its ear, bringing it into her arms and cooing at its small face. "Such soft fur," petting at the back of its head with her thumb, she planted a quick peck at the rabbit's head.

"Come, pet it, Alina. I'm sure you'll love it."

Alina frowned, if that's her way to make me talk then I'm not__

"Come, come," the princess prodded.

Resisting a huff, Alina slid closer, taking the rabbit from Inara's arms into her own. She let her hand stroke the soft white back of it softly. No surprise that Inara loves it, she has always loved soft things, Alina mused.