Chapter 4

Peter was soaking wet.

James was still giggling at the fact that Peter had fallen out of their boat and had then screamed like a girl when something had pushed him back into it.

"I swear it looked like a giant tentacle!" James was saying eagerly.

Peter shuddered. "I rather not think about some giant sea monster being in the water while I was. It could have just as easily eaten me!"

"Shame it didn't," James said with a dramatic sigh. "It would have been rather amusing to watch."

"For you maybe!" Peter squeaked.

"Stop tormenting the poor boy," Remus said to James, giving him a stern look.

They all turned as the door opened and a young lady with black hair pulled up into a bun and green piercing eyes stepped out. "I am Professor McGonagall. It is now time for your sorting. Follow me."

The first years followed after hear nervously glancing at one another, whispering in hushed tones.

James looked rather confident, holding his head high as he walked into the great room where older students sat at the tables. He must be pretty confident in getting into the house he wanted.

Sirius wasn't. His worries were piling up on him, making him feel as if he were suffocating. His stomach churned and felt like throwing up in one of the many bowls on the tables.

They got into a line on McGonagall's order. Sirius could tell the others were nervous. Peter was chewing his nails. Remus looked mostly calm. Sirius wished he could be as calm as the other boy.

McGonagall stood at the front, a stool in front of her, a grungy hat sat on it. Sirius stared at the hat in absolute fear.

This was it. No going back now.

"When I call your name, come sit on the stool and the sorting hat will tell you your house," she said.

(Just a quick pop in. I'm lazy, so I'm not doing a sorting hat song. Also, I'm doing the names backwards so it will go z to a to suite the plot)

"Snape, Severus," she stated.

"Snivellus," James snickered quietly.

The boy from the compartment walked forward looking shaky but determined. He sat down on the stool and the hat was placed on his head.

"SLYTHERIN!"

"No surprise there," Peter muttered and James nodded in agreement. Sirius didn't miss the look Peter sent him like 'that's where you belong too'.

Sirius really felt like throwing up now as other names were called out and sorted into various houses.

"Potter, James."

James grinned at the three before proudly walking to the stool, sitting down.

The hat had barely touched his head when the hat was screaming.

"GRYFFINDOR!"

James whooped as the Gryffindor table cheered. James raced over to his new house, a large grin on his face.

"Pettigrew, Peter."

Peter yelped as if he had been struck with a pin. The people around them laughed as Peter flushed, walking shakily up to the stool and sitting down. The hat was placed on his head. There was a pause...

"GRYFFINDOR!"

Peter gave a short sob of relief, running over to join James at the Gryffindor table.