Chapter 3

"How on Earth could someone misplace luggage?" James asked, having snapped out of whatever daze he was in with a short laugh.

The girl scowled at him. "It's not as if he did it on purpose. He put his luggage away and was distracted by some annoying kids mucking about outside the compartment he was in."

James rolled his eyes. "Well, sorry for asking," he said, sarcasm dripping from his lips.

"Have you seen it, or have you not?" The girl demanded.

Sirius glanced at the luggage above him that had been in the compartment earlier. "Is that it?" He asked, pointing at it. "It was there earlier and it isn't mine."

The girl went over, reaching up to check the tag. She sighed in relief. "That's the one," she said before going over to the door and calling down the train. "Severus, I found it!"

There was a shout back and a few moments later a young boy with greasy black hair stood in the doorway. He was rather pale with beady black eyes. "Thanks, Lily," he said, going over to his trunk and pulling it down from the rack.

"So you're the idiot who misplaced luggage, are you?" James said, grinning wickedly.

The boy, Severus, stiffened. "What did you call me?"

"I think you heard," James said coolly.

Severus turned slowly, sending a seething glare at James. "And who exactly do you think you are?"

"James Potter," James said with a smug smirk. "No need to ask for your name. I can spot a nobody when I see one."

Severus blanched, stepping back as if James had hit him. "You-"

Lily stepped between them, taking Severus's hand. "Come on, Severus. We don't have to deal with this bigots fat mouth. We'll go back to our own compartment."

Severus looked as if he'd rather give James some choice words but allowed Lily to lead him from the compartment, his trunk in tow.

"Was that really necessary?" Remus asked.

"Yes," James growled. "Did you see that idiot's face? He looked so goddamn stuck up!"

"So it wasn't necessary. Just checking," Remus said, picking up his book from where he'd placed it and putting it back in his trunk. "We'll be at the castle soon by how dark it's getting. We had better get changed."

The two other boys nodded in agreement but Sirius sat frozen in his seat. He hadn't realised he'd have to get changed into his robes in front of the other boys.

Remus looked at him and frowned at the horror struck look on his face. "What's the matter, Sirius?"

Sirius glanced at him, swallowing hard. "Nothing, nothing," he said distractedly, pulling out his robes, holding them awkwardly.

James, who had already changed along with Peter, smirked at Sirius. "Don't tell me. You're a shy changer, aren't you?"

Sirius flushed, but didn't deny it. He didn't care about changing in front of people he barely knew. He cared about what they would think of the marks all over his body...

"Come with me," Remus said, "I don't like changing in front of others either. There's changing rooms just down the train."

Sirius nodded, getting up and following after the other boy.

He clutched his clothes tightly to his chest, tagging after the boy like a dog, warily looking around.

"Here," Remus said, stopping by a door. "You can get changed in there."