Chapter 16 - Portent of war

Picture of the traditional Korean breakfast Minji and In-ha are eating... yummy!

Minji's POV

I have informed halmuhni about the threat I received last week but haven't heard anyting back yet from her investigation. I did say I am used to threats but they are just minor cases like egging my car, sending envelopes with blades inside, some tried to throw water at me while on my way to office but failed. The threat I received last week somehow was more aggressive and they actually exerted effort in tracking me and finding my contact number. 

I went downstaires to eat breakfast, when I got into the  kitchen and saw In-ha already digging in her food. I greeted ajumeonnhi and In-ha and they greeted back. I thought she's gonna sulk over the Thomas incident but I guess she was trained well by her mother, "no need to sulk over things you cannot have and aim for the things you can acquire." I say it's practical and very true.

We are having traditional korean breakfast which usually includes rice, soup, meat and an array of side dishes. After finishing our food we headed to our car, In-ha being herself argued if she can drive. I gave her the keys and went inside the passengers seat. While inside the car she talked to me, "Minji, appa (daddy) called last night. He informed me that the list for prospected husband for me has been decided already. Omma (mommy) will send the list to me later tonight."  I looked at her confused, just like me we're not the type to just accept those kind of agreements specifically contracts for political marriages. 

"I thought you never want to be in those? Have you changed your mind or did imo (auntie) threaten you? I  asked her. She sighed and smiled. "Who said I was going to be easy, they are in for one hell of a ride." she grinned at me.

Even I am not happy with marriages of convinience, we are so caught up with family corporation that atleast we are allowed to choose who we wish to spend our life with. Thinking that who would I choose, a face suddenly popped into my head, Lewis Scotte. I shook my head getting rid of the image, why am I thinking about him. I didn't noticed that the car came into a stop. 

We got out of our car and headed to the door when somebody called for us. I turned and saw Lewis trotting his way towards me and In-ha with Thomas in tow.  Lewis took my bag from my hand and opened the door for me. Looking back at In-ha, she was not giving Thomas a glance. He tried to help her with her bag but she pulled away, Thomas though was not giving up. Poor guy i'm pretty sure he's going to have a lot of sucking up to her if he wants her to like him again.

I was so caught up with my thought that I didn't notice Lewis staring at me, " Yes, I'm sorry Lewis did you say something?" I gave him my full attention.

"Uhm... I was wondering if you would want go on a food trip with me on Saturday that is if you're not doing anything." he said while rubbing the back of his neck which I find cute, wait. What?

"Sure Lewis, it's about right I spare some time looking around the place where I reside and food tripping was not a bad offer either." Giving him a nod of approval and a small smile. He beamed at me and looked d at Thomas who was still trying to talk to In-ha but never paid attention to him.

"Hey In-ha, wanna go around town with me too? I mean we can grab a movie or eat somewhere."

After closing her locker door she  faced Thomas with no trace of excitement nor amusement in her face just pure boredom.

" Naega wae? (Why should I) why would I spend time with someone who clearly have a girlfriend? You're dog meat to me lately, i'm liking you less and less." She then walk pass me and to our first class. This left Thomas with gaping mouth. He then turned to me "What happened and what is he talking about?"

"jal moro gesoyo (i don't know), why don't you asked her." I shrugged and follow In-ha. 

The entire day In-na kept her distance from Thomas much to his dismay. During my history subject, right before lunch, In-ha decided that she's gonna skip this class and told me she will meet me at our table. Then she went out just as our teacher entered the room.

In the middle of the class, somebody knocked on the door interupting the teacher. He opened the door and saw a guy wearing  black pants and sweat shirt, a combat boots and baseball cap. He is craddling a package in his arms, he scanned the room. The teacher asked him what he wants. "Can I help you with something?"

" Yes, is Hwang Minji in this class? I have a delivery for her." Still scanning the room, upon landing his eyes on me, a flash of anger crossed them making me alert. He shouted, ripped the package open and pointed the nail gun at me.

"Hwang Minji, dangsin-eun jug-eul!" (you should die) Firing it at me I ducked below my desked. Everybody in the room was in a panic even the teacher took cover. I saw a water bottle and picked it up. Waiting for an opening, I stood up and threw the water bottle hitting him in the face. This caused him to be startled and dropped the nail gun near the teacher. He was about to pick it up again but the teacher kicked it away from him. He was about to charge at me when he caught sight of In-ha. He went after her, I chased after him but not before telling the teacher to call the police.

Turning to a hallway I saw the perpetrator assaulting In-ha. She was thrashing and trying to get away from him. I ran in his direction and awarding him with a push kick which sends him on the ground. He tried to get up but not fast enough. I grabbed his shoulders locking them and placed my knees on his shoulder and neck completely immobilizing him. His cap fell off and noticed he is korean, I asked him, "dangsin eul-neugo?, nuga dangsin-eul bonaen?" (who are you?, who sent you?) He didn't answer and just kept on struggling under me.

Crowd gathered around us, police officers came and took him away. In-ha came rushing to me and she hugged. She froze when she saw blood on her shirt. This alarmed me, I inspected her but she looked at me, " Minji, it's not my blood."

Feeling that the adrenaline rush was waning off, I felt a sharp pain on my shoulder. This caused me to slipped and In-ha held onto me. I can see black spots and felt blood dripping form my left arm. In-ha kept calling me but she sounded so far away. My eyes felt heavy and darkness consumed me.

A/N: Okay intense action chapter here, never thought Minji can kick ass. Well anyway see you next chapter. Lots of love readers.