Chapter 3 - The News

Minji's POV

Fixing the collar of my button up white shirt and folding my sleeve up to my elbow, I glanced and the mirror. Satisfied with my look I grabed my blazer and went downstairs. Greeted by our housemaid  I gave her a small tight smile before heading to my office. Having no time to visit the kitchen I called for Min soo. " Ahjummeoni, can you bring me my breakfast in the office?" The 53 years old house attendant peeked in the kitchen door nodding and answering yes. I went inside my office, scanning the left papers I need to review, I felt my phone vibrated and with looking at the caller id I answered it. "Yeobo-se-yeoh". (Hello)

"Anyeong Chinggu". (hello, my friend) I heard In-ha in the other line of the phone sounding happy without care in the world. Honestly, without her family being a long close family friend way before chosun era, I would denifintely not associate myself with an airhead like her but there are some perks being friends with her. Like knowing the latest talk and gossip in the business world and with her family's influence I can say they can aid better with the forward progress of Hwang Empire. I guess I have a use of her.

"What?" I asked her. "Is that how you greet your bestfriend and soon to be business partner?" Right, In-ha is the daughter of a computer software and computer security system corporation owner. She is also an heiress and is expected to take over half of her family's business when she turned 21. She is more lax and somewhat not that involve in the world we are living.Unlike me, I have been involve with Hwang Corporation since I was 15 and learning the basic of the business world when I was 10. Always tagging along with Halmuhni and Secretary Park never failed to stuff me with every detail that would help me cope up with the fast development of Korean Business. Halmuhni is not getting any younger and me being young we are always subjected to criticism and bombarded with attacks regarding a young child handling a big corporation. That is why I need to grow faster, learn more and be the face of Hwang Empire that will lead it to growth.

"Yes, what do you need In-ah ssi? I don't have a lot of time to spare so better out with it." I stated. She sighed and a hint of nervousness in her voice, knowing already that she is rubbing her arm. That's her habit whenever she is about to say something unpleasant. "Remember Board member Kyung chul? Well I heard that he is planning to propose to Halmuhni about laying you off because... you know.... you're creating a rift in the Corporation, his words not mine"

I was expecting this to happen it's just a matter of time before that monkey exploded and he is not happy that I am putting pressure on him and his involvement with the corporation. "Let him be, an ignorant ape like him will never understand the effort i'm exerting into this company but halmuhni will understand and this will be over in no time."

"Okay if you say so, also be careful alright, not only you have enemies in the inside but also in the outside. That's why I kept telling you to sometimes tone down you smartass remarks. It may save your life someday."

"Life is all about taking risks and proving your capabilities, that's my leverage and i'm ready to take them head on." I said before saying goodbye and ending the call.

Arriving in at  the Hwang building, I went straight to my office and place the papers i'm holding on the table but not before noticing a white envelope. Taking it I had suddenly felt a shiver ran down my spine and something is not right. I opened the letter with a letter opener and froze after reading the contents." I've been layed off and halmuhni signed it". How can this be happening to me for almost 7 years Hwang empire has been my sanctuary, the place I worshipped and worked hard for. Now that I am being layed off what am I supposed to do now. This cannot be happening. I stood up and rushed towards halmuhni's office. I barged in without knocking and i'm pretty sure upon looking up at me, she knows why i'm there. "Halmuhni,what the hell is this?! You know as well as I know I have done nothing but ensure the best for Hwang Empire." I shouted. Halmuhni just stared at me, cool and relaxed.

"I know that Minji and I can never asked for a better grand daughter than you". She spoke softly.

"Then why?!" I said irritation evident in my voice.

"It is true that Hwang empire is important to me and your late grandfather and I have went through a lot to get to where we are now, along with your parents." Upon hearing about my parents I felt my throat constricted and an unsettling feeling begun to stir in the pit of my stomach.

"But you are my flesh and blood Minji seeing you enjoy working in Hwang Empire makes me happy but with how things go with your attitude and threats you have received, I don't want to make the same mistake again."  Halmuhni composed herself and spoke again. " You are not to work in Hwang Empire for the time being until things settle down and if I know who is threating you."

"Then what am I supposed to do. I can work secretly from the house." I suggested but halmuhni dismissed it.

"You will be going to America, study there and try to live a life of a normal teenager."

"Normal teenager?" I snorted. " Whatever i'm comfortable with, that is my normal and Hwang empire is my normal safe zone." With that I exited halmuhmi's office.

It's been 5 days now since the bomb has been dropped and  I am rebelling by eating nothing but ramyun either packed or cupped. I know halmuhni can't stand it when i'm only consuming this dehaydrated noodles and some seasong powder but strange she haven't said anything to me, not that we are in speaking terms right now. Sad to say halmuhni is as stubborn as mule she is also refusing to take her medications, it's her way of standing up to me. It really ticks me off, don't get me wrong, I  love her that it's hard to rebel when she's doing that and knowing that her body won't last that long without the meds and supplements, I conceded. 

"So when am I leaving to lead your so called normal teenage life."  I said in monotone without emotion at all. " In three days, i'm glad you finally see it my way. Don't worry secretary Park will take you there and if you are settled there he will return in Seoul to assist me here in the company. Min soo will live with you since you have been with her since you were young."  I shook my head rubbing my palms onmy eyes while sighing deeply.

And just like  that  I travelled to the land of free, "America".

A/N: People of wattpad, greeting. I am so happy that i have uploaded 3 chapters in one sitting and also please if you can comment, I am really looking forward to reading your comments.