Chapter 104: One Big Happy Family

Start from the beginning

So is Melody she mouthed back.

"Morning!" Melody marched to the Pelekai threshold and thrust her fist at Wendy. "Hi! You must be the British bedtime-story lady. I sorta-kinda-not-really remember you, but I hear you are my aunt! My name is Melody,  in case you forgot! I sing – and I am good! My mom said she wanted to meet you at Mad Hatter's after she talked to a few dolphins or something! It's super nice to meet you – sorry what was your name again?"

Wendy received the greeting remarkably well.

"Well of course I remember you Melody! You used to sing duets with your father on our ship. How could I forget such a lovely voice?" Lightly, she returned the first bump. "My name is Wendy. I'm so happy to see you again. May I give you a hug?"

Melody cocked her head at Michaleen. He was still fused to Wendy's leg. "Will he mind?"

"I shouldn't think so."

"Okay!" Melody opened her arms. "Go for it dude!"

"Aunt Wendy." Jim corrected as they hugged. "She's definitely not a dude."

Melody withdrew. "Sorry dude – er Dad. And sorry Aunt Wendy." Her eyes flickered into the kitchen at Peter. "Is that the flying dude?"

"Uncle Peter." corrected Jim. "Not dude."

"Again?!" Melody blew her bangs. "Geeze, you're hardcore! Okay, whateves -- you're a tough dad, I can roll with that." She waved at Peter. "Hey Uncle Peter! Long time no see!"

Peter lifted his milk. "Yo yo, M-Sizzle. Love the hair."

"Thanks! My grandma helped me!"

"Uh huh." Peter glanced momentarily at Sarah. Remembering that Wendy had forbade him from teasing her, he smiled wickedly at Jim. "Speaking of hair, I see the rattail was castrated."

"Peter." Wendy warned, looking meaningfully between Melody and Michaleen.

"Uuuuuups. Sorry." Peter stirred his Lucky Charms. "I meant – nice haircut Jim."

Jim glossed over the sarcasm. However, while Melody was introducing him to Elvis, he snuck a middle finger Peter's way. Peter returned the gesture, and Wendy looked ready to kill them both. 

She probably would have intervened, had Michaleen not sneezed into her leg.

It was the perfect segue. Assuming that Michaleen was hardwired with Darling manners, Jim crouched and said: "Bless you."

Michaleen poked out his head.

Wendy stroked his hair. "What do you say back?" 

Michaleen whipped his nose. He looked at Wendy. "Thank you?"

"Yes..." Wendy nodded at Jim. "But say it to him."

Michaleen peeked at Jim.

"Thank you." he whispered.

Jim replied kindly as he could. "You're welcome." 

He had spoken softly, but Jim still felt like he was talking too loud. Michaleen was so fragile, it seemed anything too aggressive would shatter him like glass. It also seemed that the attention from Sarah and Melody was making Michaleen extremely uncomfortable.

Quickly searching for a means of connecting, Jim scanned the room. Suddenly he noticed – Michaleen was wearing a green Hulk shirt. Peter was wearing the same one.

Oh good god Jim thought. They had matching outfits. That was actually SO adorable.

Fleetingly envious of Peter and Michaleen's relationship, Jim forced himself not to dwell on Jak. It would take them time to reconnect. For now, he had to think like Ariel and live in the moment to connect with the youngest member the Pan family.