Across the Bridge - Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Winston was awake before me, when my alarm went on at 6:30 A.M. He was dressed and looking at his phone when I opened my eyes. 

   "Hey," he said, calm but unsure. There was a look in his eyes that I didn't like. "Okay if I drop you off early, so I can get home to change before school -"

   "Winston, of course," I told him thought something felt off with how he was looking at me.

   Before I could say anything else, he was looking at his phone again. I got dressed quickly and knew I had to go make sure Asa was awake, but I just needed to make sure Winston was okay.

   "Everything okay?" I asked, moving towards him.

   "Yeah," he snapped. "Fine."

   I took in a breath, surprised by this. "Winst-"

   "Penelope, don't. It's nothing." His voice was sharp and I stepped back quickly.

   I turned and left the room, to the washroom. My heart was racing, knowing he was upset about something. I washed my face and brushed my teeth, then stood there for a few minutes longer, trying to calm myself. When I went back to my room, Winston was gone.

   In the kitchen, Asa was eating a bowl of cereal and Winston was standing close by, drinking black coffee. I slipped past them to get a cup from the cupboard, then poured my own coffee, quiet. Everything felt very strange and unknown.

   Winston moved towards me, close. He leaned his face in towards my ear, giving me goosebumps. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "My mom is..."

   "It's okay," I said quickly.

   He still looked concerned, but I felt a bit better knowing he wasn't upset with me. It was his mom that was causing his anger. His mother.

   In the school parking lot, half an hour later, Winston was acting a bit off again. Asa thanked him for the ride and got out, but I sat there, hoping things were okay. I wanted us to be okay. 

   "My mom is on a rampage, Pen," he finally admitted, not looking at me. "I guess she managed to get a background check done you... she's refusing to give me any money-"

   "Because of me? Because of my... family?" I asked, knowing the answer.

   He hung his head. "I... I don't care about the money, but-"

   "Of course you do," I interrupted.

   "No, I care about you. I love you, Penelope."

   I froze, even though there was so much more to say. My mouth was dry, my body felt like jelly. He looked surprised by his own words, too.

   "It's your money... for college," I finally told him.

   "I have to go talk to her, after school. But I'm going to tell her..."

   "Winston, I'm not worth losing everything," I snapped, pushing the car door open.

   "Penelope, wait!" he yelled, trying to reach for me.

   I shook my head and got out of his car, not looking back.

   My body felt heavy and my head hurt all day. It was almost like I was in a thick fog that just followed me around. When anyone talked to me, I could barely form words to answer. Lex tried to get me to talk in class, and then told Matt to try to talk to me at lunch, but at the end of the day, Lex just followed me outside.