Across the Bridge - Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I woke up to a text from Lex.

   SHIT. I SLEPT WITH LYDIA.

   OH. UH, IS THAT BAD? I sent back.

   WELL, NO. BUT WE AREN'T EVEN REALLY DATING.

   Lex and I were best friends, but we hadn't really talked about sex. I assume he'd done it before, since he had dated in the past. And he knew without asking that I'd never done it, since I'd never dated. But talking to him about this now was weird.

   YOU LIKE HER? I asked.

   YEAH, I DO.

   TALK TO HER, THEN?

   When I went to the kitchen after taking a quick shower, my mom was drinking coffee. She looked rough; her hair was messy and her eyes looked tired. I poured a cup and was going to go to the living room when she spoke.

   "Penny, I'm sorry. How I acted that day..."

   We hadn't talked at all since that day she screamed at me in the kitchen in front of LouAnne. I couldn't even look at her. I was so angry that she had said those things about Asa, mostly. But I was mad at her for being drunk all the time and staying out later than I did, too.

   "Penny, please."

   I turned back, but I wasn't happy. "Mom, you were so drunk. But what you said was -"

   "I know. It was a rough day, and I've been trying to figure out how to..." She combed her fingers through her thick hair. "I know I messed up. I am so scared to see Asa. I'm scared he'll hate me for leaving him there."

   I swallowed hard. "He won't. He knows he was wrong. He's changed a lot and he's -"

   "Do you know when the next visiting day is?" she interrupted, her eyes now looking a bit more hopeful.

   "Next weekend."

   She took in a long breath. "Okay. We can go."

   I was shocked, and sure I hadn't heard her correctly. "You are going to go see Asa with me?"

   "Yes. And... we can discuss bringing him home." Now she looked surprised at her own words.

   "Really?"

   My mom nodded, but looked a bit unsure. "He deserves a second chance, just like you're giving me. Right?"

   I forced a smile, because I wasn't sure what her motives here. "Okay. Good."

   "Will you stop ignoring me now?" she asked, but then smiled.

   "Yes," I agreed.

   I did some homework, watched a movie and then snuck my mom's laptop after she left for work. I checked Facebook to see that Lex had posted some photos from the party, and one of him and Lydia from today. One was Matt and I, and he had tagged me. Lydia posted a few of her and Camilla and Sam, laughing, drinks in their hands. And then I noticed I had a private message.

   The account name was Duke McDuke, and when I clicked through to the message, my hand was shaking.

   I found you, ha. I mean, I looked a couple weeks ago but I only knew your first name. But last night I saw Lydia posted a shit ton of photos, and there you were.

   So, here we are. I'm sort of offended that your profile has zero info about you and almost no photos. But anyway. When I saw you last night, I couldn't stop myself from following you outside. Trust me, I tried not to. I didn't know how I'd explain it to Camilla, but I didn't care. You do something to me, it's crazy.