Across the Bridge - Chapter 26

Chapter 26

"We are so drinking before before the dance," Camilla told her friends in homeroom a few days later. 

   It was obvious Lex and Lydia hadn't told her about Winston and I, but I wondered why. Why were they keeping my secrets? I wanted to know if they had told anyone. Lydia had been pretty much ignoring me, though, and Lex just wanted to act like none of it had happened at all.

   Sam laughed, and agreed, while Lydia glanced at me, then back to Camilla. I knew not to get involved in any conversations with them now. They had included me for that short time, but it wasn't as if they'd miss me once I was cut out. Lydia was going to make sure of that.

   In class with Lex later, he asked me about Asa, but that was it. I'd seen Asa in the hall that morning with Macy and another guy, laughing. I really was glad he was doing well and making friends, but there was this weight on my shoulders, a feeling of wondering if everything was going to fall apart.  I knew it was partly because of the awkwardness between Lex and I, now. Also, Asa was still upset with me about hiding out the other night.

   I had worked both Monday and Tuesday evenings that week, and Winston had showed up both days when the library closed, to drive me home. Monday, my mom was in the kitchen when I went inside. She was quiet, but smiled and said goodnight as I passed through.

   On Tuesday, she wasn't home when I got home. It was after 10 P.M. and I knew she should have been home. I tried not to be worried, but it was proving hard. She just seemed to be around less and less all of a sudden. I couldn't just shrug this off. Thankfully, Asa didn't seem to be concerned. He was busy enjoying being a normal teenage boy.

   But she wasn't home when we got up to get ready for school the next day, either.

   "She probably stayed at Mitchell's," Asa shrugged, eating a waffle a second after it popped from the toaster.

   "Without calling?" I questioned. I was more annoyed than upset, really.

   "I'm sure she's fine," Asa went on. "We're going to miss the train."

   I texted her anyway, on the walk to the train stop.

   YOU OKAY?

   She didn't reply until half way through the day, and I saw it after school. By then I had forgotten about it, mostly.

   FINE. YEAH.

   REALLY? YOU JUST DIDN'T COME HOME? I asked back.

   WELL, WE BOTH HAVE BOYFRIENDS NOW, PENNY.

   I put my phone into my bag, annoyed again. I should have known it wouldn't take long before she was back to only caring about herself and whatever guy she was dating.  I mean, I did know this would happen, but I'd tried to pretend things were different now. 

   By Thursday, I was getting nervous. But not because of my stupid mother. Because I didn't have a dress for the dance. Or shoes. I also didn't know how the dance was going to go, or what the after party would be like. And the worst part was that on Thursday evening, when I got home from school, my mother was asleep on the couch, an empty wine glass on the table and a bunch of empty beer cans on the kitchen counter. I felt like screaming at her, telling her she was a fuck up - but I didn't. I cleaned up the kitchen and left her asleep, and when Asa got home, she was awake, trying to act normal. She knew that I knew, but we didn't talk about it. I just didn't want Asa to know.

   When I was in my room later, he knocked on the door.

   "Hey... I was wondering... if I pay you back, could you take me to the mall after school tomorrow? I just need a tie -" he was saying as he opened the door.