Across the Bridge - Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Asa promised he would be fine to get home from school on Thursday, then eventually admitted he was going to Macy's house anyway. I made a mental note to ask Lex if he knew anything about Macy. It seemed like Asa really liked her, but I wanted to make sure it was going to be a good thing for him.

   As soon as I texted Winston that he could pick me up from school - that morning - I felt extreme anxiety. What if someone saw me getting into his car? What if it turned into a big, embarrassing scene?

   But he didn't text back, and by lunch, I was a bit worried. I texted again, in case he had missed the first one.

   "Are you really not taking off work to come to the dance next week?" Sam asked me, sitting across from me at the lunch table.

   "Uh, yeah, it sucks," I said, then tried to look disappointed. Finally,  I tucked my phone away.  "There's other dances, right?"

   Camilla laughed and Sam just stared at me. "Spring Formal, and Prom?"

   "Right, so, I'll go to those," I answered, tapping the table.

   But I had no clue what life would be like by spring, or Prom. I knew that we had to start thinking about college applications, soon. And I'd need to look into scholarships and everything. But it felt impossible to think about spring, now.

   I checked my phone again before I went into fourth period, and there was text from Winston, finally. 

IM SO SORRY. I CANT COME GET YOU AFTER SCHOOL. THERES SO MUCH DRAMA WITH MY FAMILY. YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW UPSET I AM THAT I AM NOT ABLE TO COME, BUT IM NOT AT SCHOOL TODAY. 

   I read it over and few times, feeling sad and angry and worried all at once. I was disappointed, too. I couldn't focus in class and in fifth, Lex knew something was wrong, as I stared blankly at the front of the room.

   "Hey, what's with you?" he asked, jabbing my side.

   I looked over, forcing a smile. "I'm fine."

   "Oookay. Hang tonight? Matt's for pizza and a movie?" he asked.

   "Are you always with Matt now? Or Lydia, of course," I snapped, without thinking.

   "Uh, no. You never hang out with us anyway." He shook his head, obviously annoyed with me.

   "Sorry. My life is a bit more complicated than yours."

   He stared at me, then looked away. Lex had always been careful with me. He usually said and did things to ensure I didn't get upset. Now, when he looked back at me, I could tell he was done holding back.

   "I know, Pen. But you don't have to use your job and your brother as excuses all the time."

   "Not an excuse."

   "You're not going to the dance? Since when?" he asked, still annoyed.

   "I have to work. And you're going with Lydia," I snapped at him.

   "See. Work." He rolled his eyes.

   Now I shook my head at him. "Whatever."

   He opened his mouth to say something but closed it again, deciding he had nothing left to say.

   My mom was there when I got home, after taking the train and walking slowly through our neighbourhood. Asa was not home. I hadn't considered what she would think of this. I'd assumed she wouldn't be home until later, so she wouldn't even know that neither of us were home after school.