Across the Bridge - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I called Alex while I walked to the train. It was humid and cloudy, as if the sky might open up and pour rain at any moment.

  "You didn't answer my text! You're coming to the party, right?" he asked right away.

  "Uh, yeah. Yes," I said.

  "For real?"

  "I work until five," I said instead.

  "I'll meet you after work. Yes!" he finished, and I liked how excited he sounded. It made me think that maybe, just maybe, this would actually be okay.

  My day went slow, even though it was busy. Mrs. Walsh worked all day with me, training a new woman who would be taking over the day shifts the following week. I hated thinking about the fact that I was heading back to school in a few days.

  I was practically in tears when I logged out at five o'clock, since I knew it was the end of my summer at the library. I would only be there twice a week now, and it wouldn't be the same. Homework, assignments and studying would be more important. Shifting back into school mode after a summer working at the library seemed impossible.

  "So, see you Wednesday, then?" Mrs. Walsh smiled at me, nearing the counter.

  "Yeah. I'll be here right after school," I told her, nodding.

  She reached out to squeeze my shoulder. "Thanks for a great summer, Penelope. Here's a small gift from us here."

  I took the envelope from her, without even thinking. She smiled at me again as I thanked her. I tucked the envelope into my bag, then tossed it over my shoulder.

  "Have a good first day at school," Mrs. Walsh finished, watching as I headed out the door.

  I blinked hard, trying not to cry. "Thanks."

  Alex was outside, cheering, when I stepped out of the library. He had never had to work, so he thought I'd be excited to be done working full time. I played along, even though I was overwhelmingly sad.

  "Ready to party?" he asked, swinging an arm around me.

  I wanted to know where Simone was, but I forced a smile instead. It wasn't like him to keep anything from me, but I knew something was up.

    "It's only five-fifteen," I told him, relaxing a little.

  "Right. We can go to my house until we head to Camilla's." He let out a loud laugh.

  "Are we walking?" I wanted to know. My feet already hurt a bit from standing all day.

  "My house is like six blocks from here. And Camilla's is not far -"

  "Yeah, I know. I'm just not really dressed for a party," I interrupted, glancing down at my black dress pants and blue button down top.

  Lex grinned. "You can borrow something from my sister's closet."

  I blinked hard. "Are you serious?"

  He just laughed again and then shrugged. "If you want to."

  Alex's sister was eighteen months older than him, and practically a super model. She was tall and thin and gorgeous. In over three years I'd only been to Alex's house a few times, and his sister didn't even live there now.

  "I'm fine," I told him, walking a bit faster.

  "I'm really glad you agreed to come tonight. My friends really want to get to know you, Pen."

  I glanced at him and saw his big brown eyes. "Cause you've told them I'm so awesome?"

  "Yes. And you're my... Pen," he smiled.

  "They'll think I'm awkward," I insisted.

  "Everyone's awkward," he repeated. "And you will fit in fine."

  "Okay."

  ~

"Mama?" Lex called out as we entered his house, fifteen minutes later. The walk was nice; I always liked walking with Lex, even though my feet were sore and it was hot.

  "Alexander," she called back, her accent obvious. She was Korean, born and lived there most of her life. She moved to the States at twenty-five and met Alex's Dad a year later.

  I followed Lex through to the kitchen, where I could now smell something amazing cooking. I watched him hug his mother, kissing her cheek, then he nodded back at me.

  "Mama,  is it okay if Pen stays for dinner? We are heading out to a party afterwards."

  "Of course," she answered, nodding.

  "Thank you," I told her, even though I hadn't thought about dinner until now.

  Lex kept walking until we were in a sitting room with a large sofa. He dropped down and sighed, so I sat beside him, leaving room in between us. I forced a smile once again. I wanted to ask about his girlfriend. Something must have happened. This was weird, considering how he had been acting since he started dating her. It was all I could think about.

  "So," he began, keeping his eyes on me.

  "So," I repeated.

  "You're going to love the party."

  "Really?" I raised my eyebrows at him.

  He nodded. "My friends are great. You'll see."

  I took in a breath. "Did you break up with Simone?"

  "Uh." His expression changed instantly.

  "Sorry," I spat out, embarrassed.

  "We broke up. Yes," he finally said. His voice was quiet.

  "Lex, why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

  "I just... she..." He broke eye contact. "It didn't work out."

  I wanted to ask for more details, I wanted to know why. Instead, I just nodded.

  "She was jealous, all the time. And she didn't want me to hang out with anyone but her..." he went on, when I didn't say anything.

  "Oh. I'm sorry," I told him. It meant she didn't like me.

  "Don't be. I'm fine." He said this quickly, then forced a toothy smile.

  He seemed fine, honestly. He'd been acting normal all week. But I hadn't seen him much that summer and now I suddenly felt like maybe I should have tried harder to keep in touch. It wasn't only his fault that we hadn't spent much time together.

  Dinner was really good; I had to refrain from telling Lex's whole family that it was the best meal I'd eaten in months. They were all very sweet, his parents and his sister, but I knew they knew I was a poor girl from Brooklyn. They talked down to me in a way, not even on purpose. I was used to it. Honestly I just prayed Lex hadn't told them about my brother.

  "Come for dinner anytime, Penny," his mother cooed, as we helped clean up the table. 

  My mom called me Penny and I hated the nickname, but I let this one slide.

  "Thanks, Mrs. Lee," I smiled. "It was really delicious."

  "Have fun at the party," Mr. Lee added, walking past me to put some dishes into the sink. "Keep Alex out of trouble?"

  I nodded and a few minutes later, Lex was ushering me out the door.