Across the Bridge - Chapter 31

Chapter 31

I woke up to someone banging on the front door of the house. I'd only gotten home around 1 A.M. and had a hard time falling asleep. Now, my head was pounding; I didn't want to open my eyes. Everything from the night before came flooding back to me. Being with Winston, so happy. Then suddenly being angry and hurt, and leaving the party without him.

   More banging.

   I pulled on a hoodie and walked through the house to answer the door, without giving it much thought.

   "Good morning." Jim, Asa's patrol officer, was standing in front of me. I didn't know what to do or say. "Penelope, right?" he asked, a smile on his face. I nodded. "Okay if I come in?"

   "Uh," I began, suddenly realizing how not okay that was. Asa wasn't home and our mom was gone. Like, really gone.

   Jim had dropped by once already, before mom had disappeared. The short visit had gone well. Mom had served coffee and cookies. The school had reported that Asa was doing well, too. I had almost forgotten that Asa was still on probation.

   "I didn't see a car... is your mother home?" Jim went on. He didn't seem concerned, yet.

   "Um, no... she's... at work," I managed to say. Maybe he wouldn't know I was lying.

   He narrowed his eyes at me. It was 9 A.M. on a Saturday. "The diner or the gas station?"

   I knew that my mom's hours had been cut at the diner, but I didn't know if Jim knew that.

   "Oh, I think the gas station," I told him, being safe.

   "Okay, well I'll just chat with Asa for a few minutes then, alright?" Jim went on, looking past me.

   My heart was was racing. What was I supposed to do? I stepped back, so Jim stepped inside. He looked around, then headed for the kitchen. I hadn't cleaned it recently. Asa and I had been living off frozen waffles and microwave dinners. The house was definitely not in the same shape that as it was the last time Jim was there. When mom was there.

   "Asa is here, isn't he?"

   The question caught me off guard.

 "Uh... well, he-" I said, while pulling out my phone to text Asa.

   "If he isn't here..." Jim was concerned, now.

   "He stayed at a friend's house, in the city, last night" I spat out. "He's doing so good, he has new friends, in the East Village, they are good for him. Here, I always worry he could get back in with the wrong -"

   "I understand that, Penelope. But curfew is curfew, and Asa is supposed to be here between 10 P.M. and 10 A.M. on the weekends." 

   I swallowed hard. "Right, I'm sorry. I said he could stay at his friend's."

   "You said he could? What about your mother?" Jim questioned me. I didn't like the interrogation.

   My hands were sweaty. I checked my phone, and Asa had texted that he was on his way home.

   "She's... she works a lot," I mumbled to Jim.

   He took a deep breath. I knew then that this wasn't going to end well. I could feel it.

   "Penelope, I've been trying to get a hold of her for over a week. No answer, no returned calls. I was hoping this visit would be... better. But even though Asa does seem to be adjusting well and staying out of trouble... I have to take you both with me, to the Child Protective Services office."