Chapter 23: Hospital Bed

"What?" Harry asked, stepping away from me.
"Stop spreading lies Malfoy!" Fred shouted.
"Lies? You didn't have to watch your cousin turn into vermin! I thought you'd be safe Jess, safe with these guys as your friends. I never thought you'd do something like that!"
His words hit hard and cut deep, as tears streamed down my face. He watched her intently as she stumbled back, her breathing getting shallow as it felt like the walls were closing around her.
"Jess, is he, is he telling the truth?" George asked as their words made her feel heavy, the group didn't know what to say, their Jess just killed someone?
"Jess?" Hermione asked as Jess turned her head and fell back on to the floor, her world going black.

Jess taken to Madam Pomfrey, and Professor McGonagall was beckoned to check on the young girl.

"Professor, is she ok?"
"Yes, Mr Malfoy. It's getting late, head back to your common room, you can visit her in the morning."

Jess woke to darkness, the candles in the infirmary were out, she was the only student in there. There was a note on the side.

Jess, we're sure there's some explanation. Please come find us when you're better.

Hermione x

Her friends had refused to give up on her. They knew things were changing, they knew there had to be a reason, the refused to believe Jess was evil. As she lay awake, pondering her actions, she wondered if she was a good person or not? Alec was dead because of the things she said, Alec was dead because of the actions she took, Alec was dead because she needed to blame him to save her own skin, that's not the actions of a good person?

"Lost in thought?" A voice whispered, I sat up and saw him, saw my Remus.
"What are you doing here?" I asked as he came and sat by my bedside.
"I had to come see you, I couldn't help but think I could have stopped all of this from happening." He said.
"You got my letter?" I asked.
"No?" He said looking down at my wrists, "Did you get mine, it contained a bracelete?"
"No?"
"It seems someone has been intercepting our mail. Could it be your family?" He asked.
"For once, I know it's not them. I took care of that."
"Most bizarre. From now on, maybe put something in the letters to trip the person or persons doing so." He said and I nodded.
"Is there anyone that might have on your side?" I asked.
"The only people I have been with, are the Weasleys, Sirius and Tonks."
"Maybe it is my side then." I said taken aback by Tonks' name, I refused to be jealous of her.
"What did the letter say?" Remus asked as he caressed my cheek.
"You've taken care of it by coming here." I smiled as I held his hand against my warm cheek.
"I've missed you." He said as he lit one of the candles, I could see how tired he was.
"I've missed you too, but I've been busy, I learnt how to perfectly execute Wolfsbane." I smiled at him and he cocked his head with a smirk.
"For me?" He asked.
"For you."
"You shouldn't have! Tonks has found someone to make me some every month, a professional that isn't Snape." Remus informed, things really have changed.
"Oh, I thought it could have been an excuse for you to visit me." I lied.
"It would have been a very clever ru-"
"Remus, are you in here?"

Remus jumped up off the bed and beckoned the voice over.
"What are you doing he- oh hello." It was Tonks.
"Nymphadora, nice to see you again." I said.
"How are you doing Jess?" She asked and I nodded.
"Great, what are you doing here?" I asked.
"Oh, Dumbledore asked us to come give him an update. Why are you in here Remus?" She asked, now ignoring me.
"I came to check up on Jess, she was a fantastic student of mine when I worked here." Remus said.
"Well, we better be off, can't keep dinner waiting. Bye Jess." Tonks said as she began to walk away.
"Goodbye, Oh, that's an interesting bracelet Nymphadora. Where did you get it from?" I asked, I knew what was happening
"Oh, thank you. Remus gave it to me." She said, beaming from cheek to cheek.
Remus has been caught out in his lie, he didn't come to visit me, he didn't send me a letter and nobody was intercepting our letters.
"Oh, and what a beautiful gem on your necklace." I said, recognising it to be a gem from the necklace he gave me for protection.
"Thank you Jess, we must be going now. Get better soon."
"Yes, goodnight. Thank you for checking up on me, Professor."