60: Cruelty and Abuse

"Assemble!" The union of the two captains' voices resounded across the courts of the Youth Tennis Home, followed by the rhythmic thundering of footsteps on the ground. I looked on in amusement as the two schools, Yu Qing and Yu Feng, gathered in their respective rows while facing the two captains. They stood straight with their arms pressed firmly to their sides as military soldiers would do. Keeping in my laughter, I wondered if this was their normal procedure or it all had been planned.

The morning sunshine gleamed brightly on their skin like a fresh new day. The air was cool and breezy, good enough for training outside of the Home. Yu Feng's captain, Xu Zi Ping cleared his throat and began to speak, "Yu Feng and Yu Qing, this is not your first time attending the tennis camp, so I expect you all to know the rules and policies at the Tennis Home," Zi Ping paused for a moment, then turned his head sharply to one of the Yu Feng members. "Wei Ke Fei."

A neutral-faced boy with single eyelids and thin lips looked in Zi Ping's direction, his eyes peering under the bill of his black cap. "Yes, Captain," he responded.

"What is one thing that cannot be performed without instruction for both schools?"

"Having secret competitions," Ke Fei answered swiftly without batting a lid. "Unless the Captains plan to have matches between the two schools."

Xu Zi Ping nodded slightly at Ke Fei's answer and motioned to Si Yang to speak. Si Yang's eyes roamed around his team for a second before calling out, "Tang Jia Le."

"Reporting for duty!" Jia Le announced cheekily, and I had to stifle my laughter.

"When a school loses to the other at any sort of training for the day, what is their punishment?"

Jia Le sighed, "The losing school gets to eat white rice for lunch and dinner on that day."

Si Yang also nodded at his response, whereas I gaped in shock. "White rice?" I gasped, horrified. "Only?"

Qi Ying had a grin on her face as she nodded, giggling, "Yep. It's what the Captains planned to make them work harder."

"That's a wicked plan you guys have," Ai Qi noted, surprised.

"That's cruelty and abuse!" I exclaimed, loud enough for the tennis members to hear. Some of them glanced in our direction, suppressing a grin at my words.

Xu Zi Ping directed his question at another of the team's members. "Shen Wei Ming."

"Yes, Captain," a boy with a bored expression answered.

"What's the result of not completing your training for the day?"

I heard sharp nervous breaths taken in from the boys. Some of them even began to stand even straighter, their eyes expressing-- fear.

Wei Ming hesitated for a moment before answering in a quivering tone, "Y-Yan Zhi Ming's Yan Juice."

I thought I had imagined a sinister glint in Zhi Ming's smile. The majority of the boys were looking down at the floor, afraid to meet their captains' eyes. Only Zhi Ming and Zhuo Zhi were standing confidently, undaunted. 

"Alright," Si Yang said, nodding approvingly at both teams. "You all seem to know the rules well enough, so we expect you to obey them at all times."

"Xiao Ying!" A stern older female voice called out from behind us. The four of us, Ai Qi, Qi Ying, Xing Zi and I spun around to see Coach Qi advancing in our direction, already dressed in her usual gym t-shirt and jogging sweatpants.

"Morning, Coach Qi," Ai Qi, Xing Zi and I greeted politely while Qi Ying just smiled and waved at her aunt.

"Morning, girls," Coach Qi responded lightly. "Are you all ready to start your chores for today?"