54: Damsel in Distress

After the short congratulatory debrief in the lounge by our teachers and presidents, the dancers were all dismissed to go find their families and friends and enjoy the carnival. Yi Kai looked the most eager to play at the booths, grabbing us both by the arms as he ran out of the door, dragging us behind. "Hurry up, both of you!" Yi Kai hastened his pace.

"Yi Kai, I gotta find my friends!" I reminded him, trying to dig my heels into the ground, attempting to slow him down.

Yi Kai halted abruptly, making Li Jing bump into his back. "Ow," Li Jing groaned.

He turned around to face both of us, smiling sheepishly, his hand scratching the back of his head. "Sorry. Forgot about that," he laughed nervously. "Uh... are you going back soon, Li Jing?"

Li Jing raised a suspicious eyebrow and folded her arms. "Why do you ask?"

Yi Kai cocked his head to the side and smiled a little. "Wanna go enjoy the Festival with me?" he asked, his eyes bright with hope. "I-I mean... with my siblings too, if you don't mind,"

I witnessed their exchange with a knowing smug smile on my face. Li Jing, not expecting his question, dropped her arms and directed her gaze to the floor, considering his offer. The longer she hesitated, the more tense Yi Kai looked.

"Hey! Yi Kai!" We heard a loud voice over the crowd and turned our heads. A slightly older boy and girl, like they were college students, were waving while making their way towards us. The older girl swung her arm over Yi Kai's shoulder, only a couple of inches shorter than him so she had to stand on her toes. At this, Li Jing's head snapped up, her eyes staring at the girl questioningly. The older boy also stood next to Yi Kai and ruffled his hair, laughing.

"Stop it!" Yi Kai shook both of them off.

"Aye, good job back there, little brother," the older girl grinned. I noticed how Li Jing then averted her gaze away from her after her sentence. The girl realised our presence, finally, and stepped away from Yi Kai. "Your friends, Kai Kai?"

"Kai Kai?" I stifled a giggle as the girl observed us intently.

"I like them," the girl stated bluntly. "I'm sensing good vibes from them."

"Alright, no need to embarrass me!" Yi Kai said loudly. "Excuse me, my friend and I will be heading over to the booths now." And without another word, Yi Kai snatched Li Jing's wrist and dashed off. The last thing I saw was the look of surprise on Li Jing's face before they both disappeared into the crowd.

Great, how fun it is to be the third wheel and be abandoned by the lovebirds.

The older boy stole a glance at me before looking back to where the two had last vanished. "Those two have something between them?"

"Guess so," I shrugged, chuckling. The older girl rolled her eyes before going after her younger brother and Li Jing. I watched as she had similarly dissolved into the crowd after them. I spun around, seeing that Yi Kai's older brother hadn't left yet. "You're not going to follow after your siblings?" I asked.

The older boy let out an amused scoff, turning to me. My eyes widened as he leaned in alarmingly close to me. I could almost see the eyelashes on his eyelids in the dim light. "Well, I have more interesting things to follow now that you're here."

I held my arms up and stepped back hastily away from him to increase the distance between us. "That took a dark turn," I mumbled to myself, but audible enough for him to hear.

He chuckled at my words. "I liked your dancing earlier," he muttered, although his compliment sent shivers down my spine instead of flattering me. "Can I buy you a drink?"