91: Why Are You So Wet?

A look was passed between me and Zhuo Zhi, raindrops falling around us rapidly, our eyes conveying a silent message to each other with a smile. We immediately dashed down the path as fast as we could to take shelter under the nearest tree, seeing as the bus stop was still some distance away from us. 

Although the amount of rain lessened considerably, droplets continued to fall on us through the cracks and crevices between the canopy of leaves. A feeling of uneasiness washed over me as I recalled all the classic warnings I had learnt in middle school of standing under a tree during a thunderstorm.

"I have an umbrella," I offered quickly, flipping the cover of my purse open and pulling a compact umbrella out of it. I hastily shook the umbrella open and extended it, having to raise my arm to hold it out over Zhuo Zhi's head. "Uh, it's a little small," I smiled sheepishly. "Sorry about that."

"We'll make do," Zhuo Zhi nodded reassuringly, taking the umbrella's handle from my hand. His hand brushed against mine, wet but warm. I bit the inside of my cheek as I pulled my hand away from his. Zhuo Zhi lifted the umbrella over our heads so that now the raindrops falling would hit it with incessant pitter-patters. "I'm taller, so I'll hold the umbrella," he said, giving me a questioning look to make sure I was okay with the arrangement.

"Alright," I agreed.

Zhuo Zhi held a hand out and bowed his head slightly with a cheeky grin on his face. "After you, Miss."

I giggled, curtseying while holding an imaginary skirt. "Why thank you, kind sir," I humoured him, scooting slightly closer to Zhuo Zhi's left while stepping out from under the tree with small steps to let him keep up. Zhuo Zhi followed alongside me as he held the umbrella over the both of us with one hand, the other hand in his pocket. The wind blew harshly and rain sprayed at us despite the shelter above us. I shivered involuntarily, the cold chilling my veins. The pinwheel on my head seemed to spin faster.

"We'll get to the bus stop and wait there until the rain stops. It's probably one of those short rainstorms that'll last a few minutes and disappear after." I suggested. The loose strands of hair out of my ponytail were drenched to look like rats' tails that dangled before my eyes. I brushed them out of my sight behind my ears.

Zhuo Zhi, unexpectedly, shook his head as our shoes splashed around in the puddles. "No, this kind of rain will last for at least an hour--"

"An hour?" I gaped, wiping away some raindrops from my cheek. "Damn, that sucks. If the rain had come while I was still at home, I could've enjoyed it better."

"I love walking in the rain," Zhuo Zhi smiled, this time his smile wispy and dreamy as he stared ahead. "It's refreshing to the mind."

I grinned. "I'd walk in the rain without the umbrella right now if it weren't for the phone and purse I'm currently carrying." While speaking, I shifted my purse again, making sure it was in the space between me and Zhuo Zhi to minimise any exposure to the rain.

"Life's too short to care about these trivial things, don't you think?"

"Yeah," I nodded, contemplating Zhuo Zhi's question as I stepped over a puddle. "But it's no time to get sick before your semi-finals, Senior. Unless you're saying your competition is a 'trivial thing' too?" I teased.

Zhuo Zhi chuckled, "Fine, you got me. I'll listen to you from now on, okaaay?" he grinned playfully, softly flicking the pinwheel on top of my head.

I pushed his shoulder lightly, stifling a giggle as we walked under the sheltered bus stop. Zhuo Zhi shook the water off the umbrella as I checked my phone for when the next bus would arrive. "It's coming in twenty minutes?" I groaned in disbelief.