Chapter Eighteen

Earlier....

"Try calling his line," Tessy pressed on as Celine fiddled with her phone typing Damian's name.

The name appeared in bold letters and she clicked the neon green coloured call sign by the side, placing the phone on her ear lobes and waiting for the phone call to go through. A lady's voice was heard at the other end informing her that Damian's phone couldn't be reached. Celine fell on the sofa beside the window's lintel as she sighed in frustration. She didn't stop calling.

"It's still not going through," Celine said.

"Well someone needs to tell Damian that his wife might have murdered your mother," Tessy remarked, sipping some left over drinks from their girls day out. Night was fast approaching and the dark clouds had literal silver linings filling the sky.

"I'm that someone," Celine said. She quickly bounced up from the chair she had relaxed on and rolled her hair twice, keeping it secure with the aid of a hair pin. She pulled out her robe and replaced it with a polo and a jean trouser. She drew out a face cap and hung it on her head allowing the end that hung like a bun to stick out from the bottom. She knew what she had to do, she was going over to the Richards' residence.

Hurrying down to her already waiting car, she zoomed off as thick black exhaust gas leaked from the bottom of the car and the engine roared to life. She stopped only when she had to slow down in compliance with the traffic lights or when she approached a bump on the road. Arriving their house in no time, she stopped yet again. The final stop.

She needed to meet Damian alone and was sure that Laura would be by his side the whole time. She needed a distraction... Anything that would let her have a word with Damian. She got that distraction when she watched a car drive home and peering through her wind glass, she could see that Olisa had driven him home. She drew her face cap a lot lower until her forehead couldn't be seen and resting on the steering wheel, she observed closely the dramatic movements and handshakes before Damian alighted then she did too.

"Damian!" She called out, running towards his direction. He stopped in confusion as he stared around wondering where the sound came from. "It's me, Celine," She replied his confusion as she removed her cap. Her hair fell and settled on her shoulders. All she could think about was everything that she had learnt that day and even more strange was that Tessy thought she had feelings for him, her half-brother or so she thought.

"I didn't recognize you with the changed appearance," he commented.

"We need to talk," she said, beckoning him to her car. She slowly led the way and only commenced when she had gotten the serenity and calm she sought for.

"What do we need to talk about?" Damian asked, slowly tapping his thighs with his fingers in concordance with the ticking of the clock. It was unnecessary, but clearly reflected her silence was time consuming, an asset he didn't joke with.

"I know you might be surprised but... I'm your sister...."

"I know," he said.

"Wait, you know?" She turned in shock.

"Yes. Duncan found out and so did Daniel and they told me," he replied. "I can't believe it even now. It's still weird absorbing that fact."
Celine thought about all the trail of questions she had wanted to throw at him but only released one.

"What did you and your brothers do to my mum?" She asked.

"Your mum?" He scoffed. "Your mum was sick. She had a mental breakdown after she lost her first child, Diane. If there's anything, she tried to hurt us."