Chapter Fourteen

"How is this possible?" Damian asked staring into the fine prints on the white paper. "Daniel is the illegitimate son?" Damian paused to get a slow nod from Duncan before he pressed on. Damian however, popped the last button of his suit jacket open and fell into the white leather sofa in the living room that released a light squeak as his heavy weight sank in. His eyes toured every single item in the living room, but yet his mind was far from them. He then settled his rolling pupils on their father's favourite chair, the King sized chair, and then back to Duncan who still stood. "Why would you conduct a DNA test?"

Duncan's eyes grew cold and the fine lines of his iris that darted about his pupils seemed strained. He didn't think the whole plan through certainly.

"You had the letter all along," Damian stood up slowly as he spoke. Duncan took a step backward with each progressive step Damian made towards him. He knew better than not to. Damian's eyes flared with rising anger as his lids twitched. Duncan's backward movement was stopped abruptly by the wall behind him as he halted and awaited his fate. "You saw me search frantically for that letter and you had it?" Damian smiled briefly, glaring his perfectly glimmered teeth before they got closed again and his lips formed a frown. He pressed his long fingers over Duncan's neck. "How did you find it?"

Duncan placed both hands over Damian's, struggling to breathe. His words were slowly forming and yet got choked back in by the pressure on his neck.

"I have it, but I promise you, I didn't take it from you," he managed to say. "Maybe you should be more careful of the people you have around you," he added as he spotted Laura by the stairs.

"Damian!" Laura called out and Damian turned around to see Laura then drew his hands back. He took few steps backwards and then reached for his bag to leave the house. "What was that about? You want to expose me now?" She asked referring to Duncan. "I just saved you from Damian," Laura added.

"You just saved yourself. You have until weekend to tell Damian what you did or I'll tell him myself," Duncan warned, burning his eyes into Laura's before putting the test result into its file. One other paper was beside it. One he had refrained from showing Damian.

"Are you this way to your brother, Daniel too, or all of this is just because I'm the woman."
Duncan stopped shortly and turned while he emphasized, "weekend." Then left.

*****

Celine arrived early at work like every other day. The busy lines of guests booking spaces ahead of time, the rolling in of boxes by guests who intended lodging, the sweet aroma from the kitchen. Celine took a lung full of the scent from the vast variety of dishes the cooks prepared and smiled in admiration of their skills.

She took an elevator up to the top floor, and responded to each greeting that flocked in from every staff she passed and guests who knew her position in that establishment. Stopping at room 309, she gave off a light knock on the door.

She could hear a slight rustling sound within the room and waited as Olisa opened the door. He had only one piece of clothing on and Celine was quick to suggest her return if that was an inappropriate hour.

"No it's fine." He went over to a sofa beside his bed, and put on the office shirt he had taken off earlier over his pair of shorts.

"Good morning," she added taking few steps into the room and noticing his shirt at one end, his trouser at another, some documents on his table and an empty bottle of liquor. "Wow you had a party last night?"

"Oh no!" He laughed briefly before adding, "I was just working. New business proposals that kept me till this morning."

"Thought you were in town to see a friend?"