Chapter Thirteen

Celine looked through the window of her kitchen and sighted her gateman reducing abnormal lengths of stems that erupted from the shrubs by the gate. Lost in thoughts, she forgot herself as she placed one hand over the blender's cover, and watched the jug of raw tomato balls, form a juicy mix.

She didn't see Tessy walk in through the gate nor the door until she was standing right beside her. She had on her slender skin, a tank top and a pair of trousers with an earpiece fixed to her ear which she removed from the curves that outlined her ear lobe. Her thick long hair which was initially packed up to a bun, was slightly loosened when she returned.

"Celine!" Tessy called out.

Celine quickly jerked on impulse and turned off the blender. "Yes? For how long have you stood there?"

"About ten minutes."

Celine poured out a quarter of the contents in the tall transparent jug into her glass cup. Slightly yellow coloured seeds were dispersed within the glass and she immediately downed all its content into her ready mouth.

"I'm sorry, I was just thinking. I had a dream," she replied.

"Oh yeah?" Tessy asked opening their grey fridge and reaching for a jar of orange juice in it. "What was the bad dream about?" She completed.

"It wasn't a bad dream or a good dream per se... I finally told the Richards who I am," Celine replied, squinting to remember other obscure details.

"Wow! I'm off the Richards' business," Tessy replied closing shut the fridge and making to leave with her jar of orange juice.

"Tessy wait!" Celine called out strapping her robe and clutching her elbows and then her palms lingered upwards to her forearm area. "I was upset and that was stupid. You are my best friend and I'm nothing without you,"

"If you're gonna apologize, do it well," Tessy said.

"I'm...sorry," Celine added and huffed out an expression.

"Not a proper apology but like you said, you are nothing without me and I forgive you."

"Thank you," Celine whispered.

"So about the dream, isn't that what you wanted? How did they react to it?" Tessy asked. She reached for a tumbler on the kitchen shelf, and allowed clear running water from the tap fill the bottom, vigorously shook the cup to remove stray dust particles, poured the water and then let the freshness of the chill orange juice fill the cup.

"It is or was but I woke up startled and didn't get to see their reactions," Celine added. She had finished her own cup of tomato juice.

"Then it got me thinking, that room in my hotel, room 222, I never went back. I thought about checking the security footages to see if I'll find anything."

"I think that's a bad idea," Tessy opted immediately.

"I actually think it is the best idea yet. Why don't you think so?"

"It's a hotel and people's privacy is important," Tessy replied.

"It is my hotel and that's exactly what I'm going to do." Celine smiled and courteously left the kitchen swaying her night robe but Tessy felt disturbed.

*****

Celine walked towards the receptionist, Calista, who was behind the LCD monitor typing in written words on a document into the computer. Her fingers moved rapidly and her eyes were stuck to the screen and only twitched when Celine called her name.

"I need to borrow the computer," Celine said.

"I have an important document I need to submit by noon and can't leave this spot," Calista replied. Her voice was unwavering and unyielding.

"Not with that attitude you're not. I need that computer right now and as your boss, I demand you step aside till I'm done with it."

"You're not the boss of me! You didn't employ me," Calista fired.

"...but I can end you. Step aside," Celine reiterated. Her emphasis on the last words.
Calista moved from her little cubicle and out to the cafeteria while Celine shot one distasteful look at Calista and then resulted to her computer.

"Why did you let her speak to you like that?" Lilian asked as she adjusted the fairly large glasses balanced on her nose bridge. "If I were the boss, I'd fire her!"

A little startled by the unexpected comment, Celine replied, "that's just your emotions speaking love. As a leader, you are going to experience oppositions to your choices or decisions but don't let that override you. Although there are limits and let's just say Calista hasn't reached it yet."

Lilian smiled and focused back on the notes on her clipboard, silently.  Celine too shifted her focus to the monitor in front of her and was going through the security footage from few days ago, when someone behind her spoke up.

"Can I get a room here?"

"Oh yeah! I'll fix you right up," Celine replied turning to the direction of the voice. She stopped for a while to examine the face and recognized the overly bearded jaw almost immediately. "Olisa?"

"Celine?" He asked. Celine's expression lit up with joy as a chuckle escaped her lips and she jumped to a hug. A long hug. "What are you doing here? Last I saw you, you were in the states, studying in business school." He had released her.

"Yeah and so were you. I kinda like own this place so..."

"Wow! That's super major. I'm actually in town to meet up a friend. Plus I needed a place to crash," He replied.

"You're in the right place." She left the computer quick enough and didn't notice the screen when it displayed a footage of Tessy leaving Room 222.

Celine talked at length with Olisa as they walked around the hotel. Celine took it upon herself to show him around, pointing her office and other rooms, the kitchen where all the magic with the food items happen, the large swimming pool at the rear, and many other compartments. Tessy bumped into them and quickly apologized, but Celine knew better.

"Olisa, please meet my friend Tessy. Tessy, Olisa."

"Oh hi Olisa! Celine has never mentioned the name before," Tessy spoke up, exchanging a knowing look with Celine.

"That's because Olisa here was my college mate." Turning towards Olisa, she added, "how about I give you the VIP room in the third floor?"

"I would love that and maybe we could grab a drink sometime?"

"Yes, maybe. Lilian!" Lilian scooted over and then Celine added, "please take him to our VIP room. He's my guest." With one quick nod, Lilian took Olisa away. "What was that about?" She diverted her question to Tessy.

"Nothing," Tessy beamed.

"I know what you're trying to do, but no it's not gonna work. It's Olisa and I don't have that time," Celine replied.

"Did you check the footages yet?" Tessy asked.
"Yes. Not until Olisa came, but I didn't see anything.

"Oh! OK."

*****

Duncan held tightly to the brown file he had collected from his mother. The brown file that held the DNA test results and true paternity test as he marched home stomping his feet into the house. He met Damian preparing his neck tie and adjusting the knot beneath his jaw. Damian hurriedly lifted his briefcase and was about leaving, when Duncan stopped him.

"We need to talk," he said.

"Right now? I'm kinda late for a meeting. I'm meeting our investors today," Damian replied.

"I've waited all year for this. I promise we will talk later."

Duncan brought out the paper within the brown file and lifted the printed document for Damian to see. Damian slowly collected the document and ran his eyes at it with disbelief.

"I ran a DNA test and that is the result," Duncan said.

"Oh my God! It can't be!"

Please vote for this chapter by clicking the star button underneath. 🙏💕
What do you think was the content of the result?
Who is the illegitimate son? Damian? Daniel? Or Duncan?
Why was Tessy spotted leaving Room 222?