3 | IN WHICH SHE AGREED TO HIS PROPOSAL

Start from the beginning

Malora blinked.

She couldn't believe what she was hearing. If it wasn't so humiliating, it would be surreal. The surroundings she was in, the obviously powerful men who were suddenly apparently willing to pay huge sums to have sex with her.

'I wouldn't do that to Titan.'

Besides, he was the lesser of two evils, if anything.

'He'll never know and even if he does, he won't care. It's not like he wants to marry you. You're just a fuck, Malora,' he pronounced dismissively.

The door opened and Titan stood at the threshold with her orange coat folded over his arm and the shoes dangling from his fingers. His face was like a closed steel door. He came into the room and Damian let go of her arm and Malora immediately moved away from him, rubbing her stinging flesh. Already there were red marks on it. Titan eyed them silently, then helped Malora into her coat.

'Ready?' he asked.

Malora nodded.

He turned toward Damian and socked him hard on the chin. So hard the man fell to the floor with a grunt.

'She may be a cheap slut, but I'm paying what you baulked at, so she is my cheap slut now. You'd do well to remember that,' Titan threw casually over his shoulder.

Damian clutched his busted, bleeding lip and showed his fury to the only person he dared to. 'You're fired, McCarran. You hear me? You're fired,' he shouted impotently.

Titan took her arm and led her out of that place. There was not a single person at that club that didn't turn to watch them leave.

*

Titan's monster of a car, a gleaming black Bugatti La Voiture Nitori, was parked beside a lamppost. It was one of those old-fashioned wrought-iron ones with a fluted surface. Malora stood on the curb and looped her hand around its rough, cold metal.

'Get in,' he said.

'What if I'm sick in your car?'

'My secretary will have it valeted.'

Malora unhooked herself from the metal post.

Was life really this easy? 

With those shoes and the drink in her it was impossible to get into the low-swung seat elegantly. Titan's eyes were on her long, fair legs. He was going to be seeing a lot more soon, so Malora swung the last one in and shut the door.   

The interior of his car was plush and luxurious. It even smelled expensive. Malora had never been in such a car. The sound system was excellent and superb music filled the car.

'What is this music called?'

'Passenger's Let her go,' he said, and switched it off. He turned to her.

In the light of the street lamp he looked harsh and distant. In the softly lit darkness of his car there was still no softening to his face. Again the thought, a cold, cold man.

'I have to be in New York tomorrow, but my secretary will call you and make all the necessary arrangements.'

Malora nodded gratefully and looked away. It was as if she was in a dream.

'Where do you live?'

'Kilburn.'

'Got a postcode?' He sounded very American then.

Malora gave it to him and he set his GPS system.

They drove in silence, until Malora couldn't bear it no more. 'Don't you want to know how much?'