Chapter 2

Italics- Mei's thoughts or song lyrics

Mei's POV

I woke up from bed and started to get ready for the day. Once I was dressed, I made my way over to the kitchen and started boiling some water for tea and put some toast in the toaster oven. I turned on the TV for the news and weather reports.

"The highs 75 and the lows 70 with a slight breeze. A new report has just come in. Some of the Phantom Troupe members were reported seen around the area. Please be aware of your surroundings and be careful going out today."

Looks like I'll be wearing a light jacket outside today. Hopefully I don't see the Phantom Troupe today. I've got too much to think about right now. (AN: she's wearing the outfit in the cover photo for the story)

As soon as I hear the ding, I turn off the TV and take my toast out of the toaster oven. I butter my toast, then turn off the stove, pour the hot water into my favorite mug and put the tea packet in. My favorite tea is Blueberry tea. Yummmm! I take my breakfast, tea and book, Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks, outside to the balcony and sit on the porch swing. The balcony overlooks the courtyard and the forrest beyond it, and beyond that I can see the little town that I work in. I finish eating my toast and I sip on my tea while reading my favorite author's book. After some time, I check the clock and get up from the porch swing. I bookmark the part where I stopped and put my dishes in the sink.

I grab my backpack and put my things in: some homework from Morel-san, my headphones, phone, MacBook Air, pencil case, camera, sketch pad, wallet, and gum. I usually don't need anything other than these things. Lastly, I grab my keys, on a lanyard, and lock up the place. I start heading to the main kitchen. When I walk in, I see Menchi-san and Buhara-san eating breakfast. I make my way over to the fridge and open it up to grab a Calpico (japanese drink) for the road.

"Ohayō gozaimasu, Menchi-san, Buhara-san!"

"Ohayō Mei-chan!"

"Well I'm headed off to work! I'll see you guys later tonight! Jā mata ne!"

"Jā mata ne!"

I head out of the building and start walking on the path into the woods. (AN: haha get the reference?) 

I can't stop to take pictures today, otherwise I'll be late!

I quickened my pace and started making my way to Ayaka-san's once again.

Hmmm. I wonder what the hunter exam will be like. Of course it's gonna be hard, I just hope I don't die! The other hunters told me about last year's exam. I heard there was some clown guy that got disqualified for attempting to kill a judge! Clowns... *shivers* ugh I hate clowns! They're so creepy! I really hope he's not here this year. If he is, he'll most likely cause trouble. The other hunters said he leaks a lot of bloodlust and that I should be cautious of him if he returns. Great. Just great! I hope I make some friends...

My thoughts were interrupted when I realized I had arrived.