Chapter 1

Italics- Mei's thoughts

Mei's POV

Slam!

I was hit with a roundhouse to the head by none other than the old man himself, Netero. After my brother died, I survived the heart transplant and was taken care of by Chairman Netero. He paid for everything, my hospital bills, my care, everything. But in exchange, my mother had to believe that I was dead. He promised to make me strong. He would make me a hunter and then I would be able to live with my mom again. I want to be strong enough to protect her. I always thought that I would take the hunters exam with Haru, but now that he’s gone…

It's been seven years since Haru's death. Today's the day that Haru died. I wasn't exactly focused on training today, but Netero-san always told me 

"Your enMeies aren't going to drop their guard so you can cry. They'll kill you." 

He was coming at me with a jab to the stomach, but I blocked and threw a kick to the jaw. He blocked, but I landed with a punch to the temple. When sparring I wasn't allowed to use my Nen. It would be too dangerous.  I rarely land hits on Netero-san, but today I was sensitive and he knows that. That's why he's pushing me harder, today of all days. Netero-san trained and taught me since he took me in. 

"Keep your guard up Mei-chan. Your showing me your weak side. The enemy would take advantage of that" he said with a sly smile.

Damn it! I threw multiple punches, he dodged all of them and threw a side kick that hit me in the stomach. I lost my balance and he's weeped me off my feet and slammed against the floor.

"Ugh!"

 Grrrr... I was starting to get really pissed off. 

"Don't lose your temper Mei-chan."

I ran toward him throwing a right hook to the head. He blocked it. I immediately threw a round house with my left leg. He caught it. A smirk appeared on his face. Using his grip on my ankle, I pushed myself up and kicked him in the jaw with my right leg and did a back hand spring away from him to give us some distance. He was caught by surprise for a moment, so I took advantage of that moment  to throw a punch to the stomach. He blocked it in time and threw a heal palm to the face. I stumbled back and he threw a back kick that sent me flying into the walls. Thank God these walls are padded. My head is killing me. Damn it! 

"I think that's enough for today. Take the rest of the day off. You worked hard considering your state."

"I'm fine. I can keep going."

"No. I want you to take a break."

I caught my breath for a second and said, "fine. I'm heading out. Thanks for the match!" My once serious face eased its way into a small smile.

We waved goodbye. I grabbed my towel and  walked into the dinning area where some of the other pro hunters were sitting. I grabbed a water from the fridge and sat down with them. Are they discussing the hunter's exam?