Chapter 12

Mei's POV

The doors opened and we made our way out of Trick Tower. There were two rounds left. Lippo spoke, "the fourth phase will take place on Zebiru's island."

Lippo stood beside a box, with a hole in the middle of it, on a small cart.

"What's that for?" One applicant asked. "A lottery?" Applicant #384 asked.

"This will determine the hunters and the prey. There are 24 numbered cards in this box. Each corresponds with the tag you were given at the beginning of the exam. Each of you will take a card and we'll go in the order you arrived at the bottom of the tower."

Hisoka was the first to approach the box. It continued on until it was our turn.

"Now that everyone has a card, I will further explain. When you drew a card, the box recorded your personal number and the number you drew out. You can do whatever you want with your own card. The card you drew has an applicant's number on it, and that applicant has now become your target."

Everyone starts to whisper amongst themselves and some gasp and shock, while others are frozen with disbelief.

"The objective is to take your target's tag, which is worth 3 points! Keeping your own tag is also worth 3 points! Other tags, separate from your target's and your own are only worth 1 point. By the end of this phase, you need 6 points."

We made our way on to a boat that would transport us to the island. We had quite a long way to go, and since the phase hadn't started yet, I might as well relax a little.

If I can't sleep, I'll at least relax a little.

A perky woman who was part of the Hunter's Association started to speak, "Congratulations on passing phase three everyone! It'll take us about 2 hours to get to Zebiru's island! Don't worry! If you fail this year, you can always come back next year! Don't feel discouraged!"

What the hell? Great advice lady. Sheesh. She sounds like an annoying tour guide. Does she expect us to fail?

Everyone gave her death glares and intensity filled the air. Everyone had already taken off their tags. As I turned around, I found everyone staring each other down trying to guess who had who or who was after them.

"Ehhhh... Enjoy the ride everyone! Since we have 2 hours before we reach our destination, you are free to do whatever you like!" She quickly waved goodbye and sped away from the people with the murderous aura.

I left my original spot and started searching for Gon and Killua. I found them on the right side of the boat. They were leaning against the side of the boat, talking.

Killua started, "which number did you pick?"

"Secret! What about you?"

"Don't worry. My target isn't you."

"What about you Mei?" They both looked at me.

I held a finger to my lips and winked, "Secret!"

We all laughed.

"My number isn't 99 and it isn't 1."

"How about, at the count of three, we all show our cards?" I suggested.

"Wait! Is it on three? Or after three?" Gone asked.

"On three Gon," Killua stated.

I gave a small laugh.

"One. Two. Three!" We all flipped our cards.

Gon has 44, Hisoka, Killua has 199, and I have 198.