Chapter 3 - I Brought You Here, I'll Take You Back

[Unedited]

<>Natsu<>

The week following Lucy’s death was a blur. Mira and Erza banded together to organise her funeral, and all the job requests sent to the guild were immediately disbanded. Master Makarov closed the Guild Hall until after the funeral.

As for me, Happy and I moved into Lucy's apartment. After what happened, I couldn't bare to leave it. The bed smelled like Lucy, and everywhere I looked, memories of her lingered. I could almost hear her laugh echoing somewhere in the back of my mind.

Every morning at the same time, Erza stopped by to drag Happy and I out of bed and to the guild where we would meet Makarov, Mira, Gray, Wendy, Carla and Juvia; the ones helping to plan Lucy's send off. Despite all their best efforts to get me to contribute, I never said a word. The only piece I put in was a single demand.

I want to take her away. I brought her to Fairy Tail, its only right that I take her away too.

Aside from that, I hadn’t said a word since I woke up in Lucy’s apartment.

My request rang in my head. I wondered if I'd made the wrong decision. But everything in me disagreed. I knew that I was the sole reason she got into Fairy Tail; it would feel wrong to let anyone else take her away from the guild.

The day before Lucy’s funeral was dark and cloudy. Wendy said a storm was approaching fast. That was fine by me; nice weather seemed like an insult to Lucy’s memory.

‘-asked to say a few words,’ I tuned in as Erza’s voice rose slightly.

‘Would you like to say something, Natsu?’ Mira asked quietly.

I didn’t answer. I just continued to stare out the window, sitting on a bench with one leg slung over the side and the other drawn up to my chest where I rested my elbow. Happy sat on the bench beside me, his head lowered and his hands in his lap.

‘Natsu?’

I saw a whirl of a pink dress, and Mira was suddenly by my side, squatting down so she was eye level with me. She grabbed my chin and gently turned my face towards her. Her soft blue eyes were sad, but despite the heartbreak she obviously felt she was smiling.

‘Natsu,’ she said. ‘To say you’re upset couldn’t even begin to describe it. But don’t you think Lucy would’ve wanted you to share what you thought about her with everyone? Don’t you think she deserves at least that.’

I stared at her for a moment, but she held my gaze. Then, slowly, I nodded.

‘Good,’ Mira sighed and stood. ‘It’ll get easier, Natsu, I promise.’

She leaned over me and kissed my forehead. It was a sisterly kiss, and left me with a sense of security. But it was still nothing compared to the feeling Lucy left me with. Ruffling my hair, she turned back to the others.

Happy stared up at me with a wobbling bottom lip. I felt my eyes sting and stood abruptly. Conversation in the hall hushed. I ignored everyone and walked out of the guild, letting the door swing shut behind me with an almighty bang.

The afternoon was warm and humid; another sign of the impending storm. Voices filled the air, chattering on as per usual; the city of Magnolia bustled on like normal. It sickened me. Didn’t it matter to any of these people that one of the kindest, most beautiful, talented, powerful mages in Fairy Tail was dead?

I stormed down the lane, angry at every citizen of this town. Their obliviousness made me sick. Pushing people out of my way, I retraced my steps back to Lucy’s apartment, leaving a trail of disgruntled citizens in my wake. I walked beside the canal that Lucy walked every day, feeling a pang in my heart with every step I took. A boat carrying two passengers floated by, they glanced over at me as they conversed in low, heavy tones.